Estimate to Replace My Engine

Asked by Jan 29, 2014 at 06:47 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio 2 Dr GLS Convertible

I have a 2001 VW Cabrio GLS. I had my oil changed in April 2013 and didn't drive my
car again until September 2013 of this year due to a relocation (it was stored in a
covered garage). Since September, I've driven no more than 10 miles over the weekend
if at all as I use other forms of transportation.

Last week (January 2014) my oil light came on. I drove 2 blocks to a spot where I could
park and checked the oil. It looked as if it was bone dry. I filled the car with a 1 qt. of oil
and left it for a while. When I came back to try to drive it home, the oil light went out
and then came on again about 3 blocks away. I pulled to an Autozone and got 2 more
quarts and filled it to the correct line. 2 blocks later, the light comes on again and then
I'm close to home and decide to leave the car, but it began to sound like fluttering under
the hood. After researching, I realized that I may have to replace the engine and could
have had an oil leak this entire time due to a seal not being placed correctly.

My question is how much is the cost to replace the engine. I don't think driving the car
to different mechanics to figure it out would be a good idea. I'd like to get an idea of a
price range so I can decide if I should buy a new car or just get this one fixed.

33,385

A junk yard engine will run between $800-$1100 depending on the junkyard and the mileage on the engine. New will probably $1800- $2000. If the engine wasn't knocking loud I think it will be ok. You didn't really drive it very far. If I were you, I would get the leak fixed,http://www.qualityusedengines.com/? utm_source=GQDTM&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=AC1&utm_ca mpaign=QUE&matchtype=p&network=g&kw=engine%20for%20sale&a d=32265790968&sitetarget=&adposition=1t2&mobile= put a heavy oil in it, and see if it runs quiet. Then drive it to the nearest dealership and trade it in if you're worried about damage in the future. Here's a link if you want to find an engine:

33,385

http://www.qualityusedengines.com/? utm_source=GQDTM&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=AC1&utm_cam paign=QUE&matchtype=p&network=g&kw=engine%20for%20sale&ad=3 2265790968&sitetarget=&adposition=1t2&mobile=.

I had something similar happen to my car. I was on my way to work, it was -5 outside and 5am in the morning.. So my oil light comes on about 4 miles from work, I decided to take the chance and finish the drive because it was cold dark and I was on a back road. After work one of the guys took me to the local auto parts store and we bought a couple quarts of oil. We put it in after verifying that the dipstick was dry.I started the car while he watched and we were able to see it pumping out of the top of the oil cooler which was good news because then I knew it wasn't the oil pump Towed it to a garage that I use,, not vw..but got the seal for the oil cooler replaced for about 150 bucks, I told him to go ahead and replace the oil sensor that is located on the right side of the block since it is a cheap part with minimum labor. When the job was done the oil light was still on and the mechanic told me that I most likely did some damage to the engine. Took it to one of those garages again not vw, but the mechanic specialized in VW engines. After 15 minutes he had determined that the switch which was purchased from Auto zone was faulty, he put in a used one that he had laying on a shelf and the light went off. Just saying, the next time you out a quart of oil in, have someone start the car and find where it is leaking. Oh, and good luck. I have had several little issues with mine, but it has 170,000 on it and still runs real good plus it is fun to drive and will fit in the smallest parking space

Thanks a lot! I have 132K on mine and I want to keep it a little longer before it gives out on me.

Reelin68 if fixing the oil seal on this thing doesn't work, I think I'll go your route next. Thanks for the info. It sucks that the engine cost is almost more than the car itself!