Corolla wont turn over but all electrical works. replaced starter 3mos ago

Asked by Feb 18, 2013 at 05:49 PM about the 1986 Toyota Corolla LE

Since it won't start, obviously you can't go to the parts store and have your fault codes read. Your '86 has OBD the old version and you can buy a scan tool for less than $50 and scan it yourself. It just might tell you what is wrong. If you do this, and are not sure what the codes mean, come back and tell us what it showed.

845

This may be a bit late for you and it's old school but requires no special tools. Sometimes a simple loose wire to the starter will keep anything from happening. At least one of the wires is usually a slip on type Male/female connector and those can be knocked loose from a bump if not tight....starts fine , drive somewhere, wont even click next time you try. Has happened to me in my 68. If you turn the key and you hear a click but it doesn't turn over..that is the starter hanging up, if it will keep clicking every time you turn the key, usually it will eventually catch and turn the motor. (This different than the clicking you might get with a dead battery) If you turn the key and get no sound or anything, sometimes they hang up and wont even click, if you can see and reach the starter, tap on the solenoid (sometimes you have to tap pretty hard...on the rear metal part, not anything plastic or where the wires hook up) with a tire iron, wrench handle...something...and try it again, maybe more than once....(Key off...tap tap , try starting) sometimes that will get you started so you can get home or to the repair shop and save the cost of a tow. This assumes all else, lights, battery, fuses, etc. are fine.

40

1992 toyota corolla, starter just got fixed 3 weeks ago and today wont start. Lights up...no sound. spent way too much$$. why is this happening ?