Fuel Economy

95

Asked by Oct 01, 2008 at 11:20 AM about the 1979 Toyota Corolla SR5

Im gettin shit gas mileage out of my 2t-c no matter how i drive it. The fuel pump is good, the engine has 78000 original miles, and runs great.  What could be causing me to get terrable mileage in it (other than the Weber racing carb). Could it be the carb alone, bad timing, loss of compression?

385

I would check your timing check your spark plugs (make sure they are gapped correctly) check your cap and rotor for signs of carbon build up on the contacts if either of the two above things look bad replace cap, rotor, plugs and wires clean your carb and make sure your fuel mixture is set correctly make sure your air filter isn't too dirty or if it is KN it may need to be cleaned and recharged and after that it may be compression but you want to eliminate the easy things first

385

by the way what weber carb did you put on and have you done other performance mods what exact milage are you getting and what displacement is the 2t

95

34 DGEC Redline Weber. Its a racing carb. Its clean as hell along with the KN. The plugs are fine and it was timed and tuned by a professional. The compression checked with a few hundredths of what its supposed to be. My friend who put the carb on says that its what gives me the bad mielage because it uses so much fuel....

95

im getting 20-22mpg. city The 2tc is a 1.6l sohv

95

It might be a 34 or a 38. and i hear the 38's lower mpg a lil

385

yeah i would say if you wanted to improve the milage you should opt for more of a pro street style weber less flow but still better than stock the other thing would be to lighten the car in any way possible which would also improve performance you should scout around the net for fiberglass body panels and such also lighter drivetrain gear would help but that is starting to get really expensive you would be looking at a full blown hot rod project there, maybe it is better to just get a newer compact for everyday driving and just have the corolla for a fun car

95

the corolla is a 79 we can pick it up with 2ppl its got to be less that a thousand pounds. Its as light as its gona get. Is there a demand for used carbs out there, and what would you reccomend for a better carb that wont kill my mpg or my horsepower

385

That is pretty light, I wasn't sure how much those things weighed I thought they where heavier. I think just the smallest flow Weber you can get for that engine would help. It sounds like you got the biggest highest flow one they had for it. I'm not much of a carb man myself, although I know the Webers are one of the best pair ups for Toyota motors out there, I am looking at getting dual side drafts for my 22R powered 4x4. I would say you should be able to sell a used Weber carb pretty easily to another Toyota enthusiast, just find out all the motors the one you have is compatible for and list them in your ad.