I have a 78 Corolla that stalls out when I come to a stop. I rebuilt the Carburator once. Might that still be the problem? How should be solve this problem?

Asked by Dec 21, 2014 at 01:04 AM about the 1978 Toyota Corolla E5

A carbureted engine that wont idle. You said a many level thing just there. you must investigate all the things it should have, find out what you have and do not have for symptoms. Does it start right back up? how does it respond to opening the throttle? When it acts up, is the weather very cold and damp or even fog and rain? I can type you many things to check. is there ice on the choke? when it stalls? Is there still gas in the float bowl? do you smell gasoline ? You need to know if you get too much gas or not enough. You need to know if you lose spark...if you have points, are they set right and in good condition ? does your condenser short ? are there any parts missing ? are connections cleaned and serviced and protected throughout the ignition system ? You need to tell about the vehicle and what has been neglected as well as what was done and why. even a rebuilt carb merely had some paper gaskets and an accellerator pump replaced. while cleaning the dirt out. But what was the dirt and did it come from a dirty tank ? An electric pump ? need much more info to help.

First check your vacuum lines. Clean your PVC valve and try unplugging a vacuum hose off from your EGR and see if it runs better. You may also need to advance your idle setting on the carb. A new EGR will run you around $40 or so.

Is your air cleaner adjusted to summer or winter ? does it have points or electronic ignition ? When it dies, do you lose spark ? Or fuel. are your filters new? can you blow back into the tank ? How many turns out are your idle mixture screws ? what does a manifold vacuum reading look like on a vac. gauge ? when it does run. Is the choke shut when it dies ? like it fails to open after a few ? Is any of this helping you identify the real nature of why it dies ? You have not reported all the conditions or what equipment it has in your state, for that year. During a plug check, is it either rich or lean ?

I had a 78 toyota once that had a no spark issue. Eventually the shop replaced the ignition pick up parts in the distributor. We had already tried the easy stuff by getting used parts to substitute. But its problem had become cranks and cranks but wont start.

I would point out that compensating for the problem by raising the idle at the idle speed screw without adjustin the mixture can make the engine run on. The base timing can contribute so verifying that setting, and making your adjustments with a vacuum gauge connected is a great help.

does your air cleaner have a mechanical season adjustment? or is there a mode door operated by vacuum ?