when i park on a slight incline i have a problem shifting out of park

Asked by Aug 19, 2014 at 03:17 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Venture LS

2000 chev venture LS the shift locks up when I park on a slight up hill. I havent tried down hill as of yet.   help if you can  thank you   ron

73,935

This is normal,in all car,s and truck and van,s.There is pressure on the trainsmission,when you park on and incline.May help to apply parking brake when on incline this will take the pressure of your tranny.

73,935

Apply parking brake before you put van in park.

19,425

I agree with T-S-T. Actually that is in driver's training on the first day of learning how to drive the car. No offense intended here, a lot of people forget to apply the parking brake first or not at all. I always apply it out of habit, and there is a story of why. Cars pop out of park sometimes. Imagine being a policeman, making a car stop and park behind the stopped car. It's funny later, but when the lady points to your empty car going past you, and she says, "Officer, isn't that your car?" It's not all that funny. Worse yet when it hits the car you stopped. I'm lucky, all I had to do was investigate the incidents, not write an IFU report.