I have a 2000 chev venture that has been sitting for 2-3 yrs thats been started once in a while but always killed the battery.

Asked by Dec 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Venture LS

The van has had a new battery installed only to be dead the next morning. Since I have had it I have been using 2 batteries trying to solve the problem, I use one battery to start the motor it lasts for about 20 minutes, I take the battery out to recharge and use the 2nd one. So far I have installed another starter and checked the wires from the battery to starter, checked the ignition and mini fuses all are fine. The alternator looks new I disconnected the positive battery terminal while the motor was running it didnt stall but the 2nd time I did that the motor stalled. Can the alternator short out the battery without blowing the fuses, I am at wits end as to wat to look at next can someone plz help me....

10,645

First.. Take your alternator to a parts store and have it tested. I am assuming you have not done a voltage check while it was running?If so, what was the voltage you were getting at idle? Also, you may want to check all ground wires for corrosion and/or connection. Also, as a warning.. Disconnecting the battery terminal while a computer controlled vehicle is running can damage the computer.

yes I checked all the grounds & cleaned them, that was my next step take alternator in have it check out, no I have not done a volt check. I was afraid the computer might be the problem, the lady who owned it before me said the motor blew a hose & sprayed coolant all over fuse box n battery. I was the one who replaced the blown hose after that she said it never ran right after that incident it always killed the battery. I checked everything made sure no exposed or positive wires not grounded out. Next options check alternator then computer will also check volts as u said....thanx for ur help

35,545

Alternator getting that wet could have shorted out the electronics and is causing it to stay on with the key off. Put something metal up to the shell while the car is off. If it is magnetized its deff the alternator.