Thermostat Placement

35

Asked by Jun 21, 2008 at 10:43 PM about the 1986 Toyota Camry LE

Got a new thermostat for my Camry, but cannot figure out where to place it.  Looks like housing is on lower hose, but could only find reference to upper hose placement.  Would have to remove distributor for that kind of placement.  Help!!!!

8,375

Follow the upper radiator hose towards the engine block. The part that the hose clamps to is the thermostat housing. Open it up replace the thermostat. This usually requires removing 2 or 3 bolts to access the thermostat.

35

I thought that to begin with, but there are four or five sensors hooked into a 3 to 4 inch tube looking piece that is too small for the thermostat. Behind that is a housing that would require the removal of the distributor. I am beginning to think that a 1986 Camry is a different beast.

8,375

Hmm... I had done an 87' about a month ago when it started getting hot and remember it was fairly straight forward. Must be a generation change with the cars in which case I don't think I've done one from that generation... Hopefully someone who knows will post back.... Sorry I couldn't be any use.

565

hey i just looked it up and theres 2 bolts holding the coolant neck to the thermostat housing, where you are talking about, take those 2 bolts off and seperate the flanges, and presto theres the thermostat. it shouldn't be too hard to do, its a pretty simple job. good luck dude