How do you determine if you have an EOC

Asked by May 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

The radiator in our 2000 suburban 1500 is leaking.  I have been trying to order another radiator but the question of whether this vehicle has an OOC (which I finally figured out was an Engine Oil Cooler) was present or not.  Looks like an air conditioning core in front and radiator towards the back.  How do you determine whether you have an EOC on this rig??

975

It's very simple if you know what to look for. If you look on the passenger side of the radiator (on the side facing the rear of the vehicle) you will see two metal lines entering the tank on the radiator. Now look on the drivers side, if you see two metal lines that look like the ones on the passenger side then you have an oil cooler. If not, you don't. It's unlikely that you do, but it IS possible. As a side note, these radiators almost never fail, so check the hoses and be sure the drain valve on the radiator is fully closed to be sure. Good luck!

Best Answer

Eric Thank you for your excellent answer. I am guessing then that the metal line entering on the passenger side of the car is the Transmission Oil Cooler. The radiator is plastic and there is a small crack in the vertical tank on the drivers side that runs just around the end of one of the horizontal reinforcing ribs. I have added the two statutory cans of Bars Leak which has leaked out and created a deposit of grunge on everything on that side of the engine compartment. It takes about two days for the Check Engine Coolant warning to come on. I have seen the radiators on ebay pretty cheap so I think it is time. I just didn't want to order one and have it get here and be the wrong one. Thanks again for your response. I owe you one. Good Luck to you!

975

Thanks, and since you added bars leak (made that mistake once) you will probably want to flush the cooling system with a strong flush out the cooling system BEFORE installing the new radiator because you want to get that sticky semi-solid mess out of your cooling system or it WILL clog your nice new radiator. Procedure: 1. drain all the coolant out of the system by opening the drain valve on the bottom drivers side of the radiator and flopping the hose into a 5 gallon bucket 2. fill the system with 2 containers of cooling flush and fill it with clean water (THIS MIX WILL FREEZE) 3. drive for a few days with that mix in 4. (engine cool) drain all the dirty crap out into a bucket 5. fill system with water and drive around the block and repeat step 4 twice twice 6. remove radiator (don't lose the stupid little clippies that hold in the trans cooler lines!!) and stick a garden hose into the hoses leading to the engine and heater cores and power flush the bars leak sludge out 7. put your new radiator in and fill with 50/50 Dexcool 9. have a beer and sit in the driveway in a lawn chair looking at the truck with friends (making them think it was way harder than it really was to sound like a pro)

i got a prizm 95 lsi geo i order a radiator for that car they send me the wrong one this one gots two lines for cooling can i put it like that