Do I need to "Burp" new radiator in 200 chevy cavalier, and how do I do this?

Asked by Mar 06, 2016 at 07:28 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe FWD

I recently sat in traffic and overheated, causing my radiator to crack and blow coolant EVERYWHERE.  I have replaced the radiator (an 8 hour extravaganza where I used every colorful word I know and invented some new ones) and one of the hoses.  I refilled the coolant while idling on the ramps.  Then it sat overnight while I got more coolant and when I drove it around the block(>0.5 miles) the temp shot up well into the red.  Please help.  I need to go to work... at some point.

21,790

If you have a cap on the over flow tank to add anti freeze bleed air from system like this. Remove cap from over flow tank fill anti freeze to full level leave cap off and start vehicle and let idle and reach operating temp anti freeze will start to back up into over flow tank but this is normal once thermostat starts to open anti freeze level in over flow tank will drop add more anti freeze back to full mark then put cap back on. All air will be removed from cooling system. If your vehicle just has cap on radiator bleed air the same way.

82,215

But why did it overheat? Watch your temp. gauge while bleeding the air out like firebird says, once it starts to get to operating temp. the top radiator hose should get hot once the thermostat opens. If the temp. gauge does not settle down to the normal range shut it off. May be a stuck thermostat.

The hoses were hot when I got back. I turned it off, opened the overfill tank cap and blew coolant everywhere through the pressure release hose and let it idle for about 15 min. Then tried again, since the coolant level hadn't moved, and shot back up into the red before I even made it 50 ft.

21,790

Let engine cool down and then follow instructions from first post.