Gauges go off & on when 2003 Dodoge 2500 truck hits a bump.

240

Asked by Mar 21, 2012 at 06:23 PM about the 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab SB 4WD

Also NOBUS light comes on. Headlights come on also.

12,795

Its a problem inthe CAN/BUS communications system. with the key in the off position, hold the odometer reset button, keep your finger on the button, and turn the key to ACC, release the button, and the BCM will do a self check of the CAN/BUS system, you should notice all dash board lights illuminating, as well as each gauge taking a full stepped sweep from low to high. Also 2 different sets of 2 numbers will flash

240

okay what is the acc?

12,795

the last click before youd be in start

240

Thank you for your help. It did help but didn't last long. It has started doing it aagain. What do you think the problem could be?

12,795

Your going to need a new dash cluster. when dodge went to the 3rd gen ram, they made the dash cluster a computer basically and it likes to fail its a noted problem with 03-04 dodge trucks.

240

And I bet it is not going to be a cheap fix either. I bought this truck because so many of my family members drive dodge trucks & always brag on how dependable they are but ever since I purchased this truck it has been one thing after another. :( hould have stuck my good old Chevrolet truck. :)

12,795

its hit or miss, all ive ever owned is dodge trucks and theyve treated me relatively well. every vehicle has faults. the new dash cluster is like $200 i think, ive never had the issue though.

240

Okay well I will look into that. Thanks for your help.

12,795

no problem

5

does anyone know if they make a better oil pump for my 2003 Dodge 1500 / hemi?

240

(Gauges go off & on when 2003 Dodge 2500 truck hits a bump.) I found the problem....$2200.00 later. I just wanted to share what I experienced in having this problem. I ended up taking my vehicle to Dodge dealership & was told that my vehicle needed a new PCM. It was replace I was billed & guess what?? I still had the same problem! I took it back & then they tell me that I needed to leave my vehicle for a couple of days in order for them to figure out the problem. Well 4 days later they called & said it was fixed. Said the new PCM was faulty. 3 days later... I have the same problem!!! I called the dealership & told them I wanted my money back as they had my vehicle for 4 days & have billed me $2200.00 & I still have the same problem! They did give me back some but not all of my money back. I got my brother (a freshman in high school) to see if he could find anything online to help locate the problem. The problem ended up being a bare wire from the stereo & was touching metal. Took my brother about 11/2 hrs to find it. I am really disgusted with the supposedly professionals working at the dealership. So before you go out & spend crazy money check all possibilities. Even the slightest of problems can cause major trouble.

12,795

the odds that this person is having the exact same problem as you is slim, it would have to be a CAN/BUS communications wire, and honestly every single truck ends up getting there wiring harnesses taped up, and run a different way, i wouldnt have spent no 2200 at the stealership though, i would have dealt with the gauge malfunction.

50

Does anyone know what the BCM codes mean? My 05 dodge 3500 cummins wont start, I know my fuel pump is not running because I don't hear it like always. Panel says no bus, headlights were on, now they are off. All the fuses are fine. I ran the BCM test above and got 61 30 A4 23 AA 00 AC 01 Ad 01 AE 01 00 00

12,795

seth, when you ran the test, did all your gauges function properly and do a full sweep from high to low? and did all of the function lights come on?

50

Yes they did. However when I turn it on to cycle fuel pump none of the gauges come on although the lights do. Also the overhead computer reads all zeros including temp (blank) and the wipers don't work right. If I turn the key on they don't work. If I turn them on then turn the key on they run but don't respond to the controls or stop unless I turn the key off. But if I turn it to accessory they work perfectly.

12,795

sounds like you could have a problem with your BCM, without having the truck here at my garage i cant really run the flow chart to test the necessary things that need testing. if you turn your key on and off 4 times with the last on landing on accessory it will flash any trouble codes stored in the computer. even though you dont have a CEL you could have soft codes. the codes will pop up in the trip/odometer display

50

I borrowed a code reader from a friend but it won't link to the vehicle no matter how many times I try. Are the soft codes the ones I listed above? I don't know what they mean and can't seem to find a website that tells me. Thank you for your help.

12,795

a soft code is a DTC that wont set a CEL while a hard code will set the CEL. I hate to fire the diagnostic shotgun at this but since your code reader wont link up to the data port, its sounding like youve got an issue with one or more the computers on the truck. like i stated before with out having the truck i can only try and point you in the right direction.

50

You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it. The weird issues that seem to be all over make me think my ECM is done. The fact that my fuel pump does not run like it should really freaks me out. And with dash and over head it is like they are not getting info from the computer but are themselves working ok.

12,795

all that stuff is controlled by the BCM. when you turn the key on the BCM talks to the ECM for things like the fuel pump, adjusting the slide in the injection pump for the start procedure, things of that nature. If theres no BCM communication theres no fuel pump and typically you lose control of things such as wipers, headlights, overhead display, and things like that.

665

Dan can you tell me why my 01 dodge ram 1500 4x4 have the instrument panel go down and flash no bus, only on rainy or wet days when it hits a bump. the computer was replaced in it a year ago. This doesn't happen when it doesn't rain or we have had dry weather for a few days.

20

2003 ram 2500, the gauge cluster doesn't work, the headlight switch assembly doesn't work, and nothing on the steering column works. No dashlights illuminate which would be because of the headlight switch assy. Im kinda at a loss here any help short of attempting to just replace all parts and testing luck or may there be a simpler issue?

210

I had problems with the "no bus" issue on my 2003 Dodge Ram. TheGages were not working and the

210

I had problems with the "no bus" issue on my 2003 Dodge Ram. The gages were not working and the truck ran rough. I thought it was the gage cluster, but it turned out that the connectors to the PCM had moisture in them. I dried them out and plugged everything back together and everything worked. The PCM is right next to the battery. It was an easy fix.

30

i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and sometime it will die on me while im driveing and it wont start if the gauges dont work. and when it dies it says No Bus but then other times it will run fine for awhile. what do you think could be the problem??

30

BCM is part of ECIM in our trucks. BCM/ECIM is integrated into /behind instrument panel. "The first pair of digits represents a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), or fault code for the instrument cluster. The second pair of digits is a counter for the number of ignition key cycles that have occurred since the displayed DTC was set. The instrument cluster will continue to display additional sets of two pairs of digits at three second intervals until all of the stored codes have been displayed, which is again signaled by a code of “00” “00”. Refer to the Instrument Cluster Failure Message table for a description of each fault code that the instrument cluster displays. If an instrument cluster fault is displayed, use a diagnostic scan tool to diagnose the problem." Codes found in service manual Code's as you listed mean (according to 2005 Service Manual): 61 Passenger door lock switch input open 30 cycles A4 Ignition Run/Start circuit irrationality 23 cycles AA UNSURE - not listed 00 Done AC ABS messages not received 01 1 cycle Ad FCM messages not received (actual in reference is AD) 01 1 cycle AE ACM messages not received 01 cycle 00 Done 00 Done

30

I had all the same issues... Go start your truck, turn on your AC and wiggle your keys around in the ignition switch. Betcha the AC turns on and off. That's why gauges and AC torn off when you hit bumps...Faulty ignition switch. $26 fix. - Your Problems Solved... by a girl.

20

I got a question I have a 2005 dodge 3500 with the 5.9 was running but slangin oil out through my exhaust i set the truck up andmy batteries died and I went swap them out I went to crank it and it jus turns over I turn the key to the on position my whole electrical system clicks on and off as in it would if it had a security system I needed to replace my engine and now that I have the new one in it does the same thing with the clicking on and off has anyone experienced this problem