can the pcm cause a no start?

Asked by Dec 12, 2014 at 05:03 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT Standard Cab LB

everything changed but I still can't get my truck to start

No start with no crank? Cranks and cranks but wont start? Cranks and has no spark? Cranks and has spark, but no fuel pressure? Has everything but fuel volume? Has spark and fuel but start/dies because of fuel delivery. You need the basic tests, the test equipment, and or the procedures from the books, or an automotive database. library is the cheapest. Auto technician is the fastest.

Yes a computer can be a cause, if it gets what it is supposed to get, you have everything but something, or everything but 2 things and it is not in antitheft. read what I gave you and get the rest of your diagnostic basics or describe what definitive evidence so far. I would hate to hear you paid thru the kajonies for parts that did not help without running the tests, all of them, and knowing the service manual and schematic updates for your rig. Your dealer can answer you about the frequency of processor causing it. and steer you toward TSB's that apply.

A DRBIII scan tool may be the magic if you have a processor that is trapped in bootstrap sleep, or antitheft. There is a bulletin for some vehicles in those years, do you have a 3 plug, "j-tec" processor? there are several. Still others respond to an updated sensor, but then there are 2 styles. still others respond to connectors that fit loosely being updated with thicker pins or smaller tubes. I cant see it from here, so you may have to do the research, or hire it done. Base engine concerns like timing chain slack can have the computer covering up the issue, but lost its memory and needs professional help. That was why I mentioned the DRBIII scan tool. Still, everything depends on the basic tests first and what set of parts it has. Carefully identify and write down what you have to try and simplify is what I had to do. My customer lost his own mind eventually.

He had a bootstrap one and tried to replace it with a antitheft one, and had issues with every system, and sensors. pinpoint tests can lead to a gray area. there are inspections and judgement calls along the way. You could talk it over with your dealer to see if they have simplified this kind of vehicle at this age and miles too.

Write down the VIN and the processor complete number get the build date, etc. and ask lots of questions. If my customer had followed advice the first day he could have had a 80 dollar brain, and some other work. and been back out drinkin and drivin in a week, it's just as well he did not.

He was here with another mopig today, lookin for someone to make an unsafe and insane brake hose THANKS. That could kill someone, drag it home and make it safe for the rest of the universe before reentering the public thoroughfare....No exception. Get the correct part... even a used one is better than clamps and ones personal opinion of OK, not to mention the injury, dismemberment, loss of life, or destruction of property that results.