how many quarts of atf should i use

25

Asked by Nov 18, 2007 at 10:17 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 2 Dr Laramie SLT Standard Cab LB

first truck i need some info on maintenance on fluids

5 qrts oil with filter,5 qrts atf,just with fluid and filter change. i am assuming v8.chrystler vehicles use a different type of atf.can still get at your parts store. just letting you know about the atf,fluid.

44,585

Yes, you'll want to use ATF+IV, it's the replacement to Chrysler's ATF+III that was used for many years. Suggest starting off with 4 quarts of ATF after you drop the pan and replace fluid and filter, then run engine to operating temp, shift slowly into each gear then back to park, then check fluid and top off. You may need to top off after running it a few miles, also. Changing ATF isn't an exact science. Depending on the temp when you change it, more or less might come out.

355

I have two dodge rams and i can tell you USE ONLY ATF+4!!!! If you do not you will have issues. i work on cars for a living and my cousin who is a certified tech for chrysler reccommends ATF+4. and once you add it start it up run it through all the gears (PRND2L) and check the fluid with the truck in neutral. drive it around the block and check it again (in neutral) while running (the level rises when the fluid is hot). Also, make sure you change the filter. good luck!

140

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.l 8v magnum. Just changed the fluid, filter and governor pressure solenoid and sensor yesterday.. took about 6 and a half to the max mark..

140

Also used Castrol ATF+4 fluid..

220

I just change the transmission fluid and filter in my 95Dodge ram 1500 truck. Now it is pushing the 5.50 quartz of fluid out when not running. I read did it again change pan gasket and filter. Just put 4 quartz in it pulled it down in all its gear's and drove it to. Still say not in ok mark. What do I need to do.

240

I just changed my transmission fluid, the manual said 5.5 quarts but i kept only getting a reading on the cold line on the dipstick, then no reading when hot. So added 6 quarts total, still no reading. A couple of days later driving, the truck turned off while in drive, got home ten mins later and under the hood is smoking! Pink sweet fluid everywhere, couldnt see from where cause it was dark. What should i do next? Thanks if anyone can help.

20

What kind of fluid do I use on a standard trammison 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 single cab and how I check it two

20

Jessie Make sure your vehicles is on level ground and you check your transmission fluid while the engine is running

30

Pull out the dipstick before you drop the pan. Buy 6 quarts ATF 4.. check bottom of pan for any fragments..buy new gasket and silicone. Change the filter. Check the screen on the bottom of pump make sure it is clean..clean the pan very well..clean any old gasket and silicone with a small putty knife..I use an sos pad and clean both sides for a nice seal. After clean and dry put pan back on..finger tight each bolt..then I torque the pan bolts to 30 foot pounds..you don't wanna over torque them either..before adding the ATF 4 let the silicone set up..wait at least a couple hours..then get a funnel place it in the dipstick hole. Pour it in slow. Don't spill any and be messy..go ahead pour in 5 quarts.. check all your transmission lines up to the radiator and transmission cooler make sure there is no leaks anywhere..if so fix them..there not expensive..very easy to replace..after that everything looks good put the dipstick back in check it it should be about half a court low..one thing it's better to run alittle low then to much!! To much you have a very good chance of the forward clutches to burn up..ok. start the truck idle for about 5 minutes. Put it in reverse and idle for 3 minutes. Then put it in drive 3 minutes, low 1 low 2 low 3 all for 3 minutes..put emergency break on put truck in neutral get out check fluid again should be alittle below full. Add more if need slowly..keep checking till you are to the full mark or a hair below. Then take it for a ride..take it easy on a back road don't jump on the throttle. Go somewhere you can stop. Then put it in low one drive a couple hundred yards then low 2 and so on.. then stop go into reverse back up a hundred yards or so get that new fluid to work through the tranny..stop on an idle with emergency break on again on a level. You should get a proper reading at this point..it should be perfect..make sure the fluid is still nice and pink..smell it..make sure it don't smell burnt..make sure it's not dark..if you normally don't change your fluid every 30000 miles new fluid almost puts your transmission into shock lol..I seen people not change there tranny fluid for over 100000 miles and there truck or car transmission starts to slip right away on them..lot of times they do the transmission fluid change and just start mashing on it thinking o wow now I got new fluid tranny is like new let's hot rod around..not a good idea..new fluid is good..just drive it easy for about 400 miles..let the transmission get used to the new fluid..it's like breaking in a new truck or car..takes alittle bit..after all that..you will be good to go..when you have a chance check it over again for leaks.. recheck the torque at 30 foot pounds..after all that easy stuff your vehicle will love you..should shift like a dream..thanks for reading..it's just how I do it..others might dump it fill it and run it..not me..do it correct the first time..a rebuild tranny on a 96 dodge ram average cost in a shop runs about 1800 plus now..I bought my 96 dodge ram 1500 5.2 brand new..it has 345000 miles on the motor and transmission..still runs strong..have a great day

10

wow thanks for that I just did exactly what u said about putting new fluid and taking off like its cool now I believe it was slipping THANKS thought I would have to take it in