turbo on a naturally aspirated 7.3.

Asked by Feb 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM about the 1992 Ford F-250 2 Dr XLT Lariat Extended Cab LB

Its got the 7.3 (i think, its my brothers) diesel and we wanted to know if ford made this same engine with a turbo.  he wants to do the whole banks upgrade if he can turbo.  thanks for your help.

17,815

Hello, I do not believe that Ford made this truck with a turbo engine. Best of luck! CarGrrl

35

you can put a turbo on it try the banks sidewinder from bankspower.com i think ats diesel also has one atsdiesel.com. if you talk to the people at banks the will send you lots of info thats very helpful for free in the mail. Jon

35

if it is withing 1988 through 1993 it has a 7.3 or 1983 through 1987 it would have the 6.9 but both can have turbos the best one to go with would be a banks sidewinder and yes ford made the 7.3 with a turbo 1994- 2003

45

You can put an Banks turbo on the 1988-1993 7.3 diesels, cuz I know a guy that has an '88 that has a Banks turbo on it.

45

The Banks kit will work nicely on this engine. The Ford turbo came on this engine for the 1994 model year just before the Powerstroke came out. There was a 7.3L IDI Turbo and a 7.3L DI Turbo (Powerstroke)

5

ford did make this engine with a turbo there is nothing diffrent from the non-turbo and the turbo engines so a banka turbo would fit on there no problem

35

there is a difference one is Indirect injection aka IDI other is direct injection aka DI

5

If it is a 1992 then it would be an IDI A DI would be a powerstroke and those started in 1994.5 model years

Does anyone know what is the towable capacity of the 1993 250 7.3L international engine?

80

Yes ford did make them factory turbo. I have one. 1992 f250 7.3l idi turbo. If you read all about these engines they say no, yes, maybe, etc. I have found that all the info on these engines being a heavier built model of 7.3 is a crock of crap. So far nothing is different in my experience with these diesels, including 6.9l. Turbos greatly add stress to engines as it is an air pump and increases volumetric efficiency in engines. I wont get into details but, diesel engines are ALREADY A HEAVY DUTY ENGINE!!! Throw that turbo on it!!! remember that diesels cant run lean and burn up like a gasoline engine. The diesel sucks air directly, unhindered, through a wide open intake and hopefully an air filter. The fuel is injected at high pressure (1400-1945 psi) on IDI engines, at a few degrees BTDC. The amount of fuel injected determines the power with of course some limitations. so how does the diesel slow down from higher speeds??? reduce/lean out the injected fuel volume. Diesels essentially are a lean burn system by design. You will most likely have to turn injection VOLUME up to compensate for extra air from turbo to burn at higher efficiency(I believe...never have done it myself though). Install turbo and take to reputable shop to have injector pump adjusted. Turbo makes a pleasable difference but nothing jaw dropping on these engines. The powerstroke with EFI system are the powerful units. The old IDI engines will take a whole bunch more abuse than the EFI units and are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper and less complicated to repair. Injectors for IDI +-$40 ea. EFI powerstroke +-$250 ea last time i touched one. The IDI will gobble up virtually any combustible fuel you dump down its throat where the powerstroke will fight back and kick you in the pocketbook. So to recap, throw the turbo on and get pump checked/adjusted.

80

and dont let uncle sam catch you burning your old engine oil as fuel ----theyre thieves and dont like you getting tax free fuel. yes they will burn used engine oil, tranny fluid, some hydraulic fluid, etc. just dont do pure oils....i mixed the system about a 25% oils to diesel per tank. I dont recommend any fuel but diesel in winter usage as they are super bitchy about starting when cold.

Ford made idi with turbo in 93---engine WAS HD and I think rods and other parts had different p/n. I have this turbo exchange with your non turbo parts. This came on the trucks from the factory with the idi engine and emblems on the truck. Exchange is because 7.3 idi compression is too high and block is too thin causing shock waves when using turbo. But truck runs like hell.