Truck Hesitates when accelerating

20

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 07:47 PM about the 2006 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew Styleside 4WD

I can be driving down the road and my truck rides fine. I'll be going 30mph
and step on the gas and it kinda hesitates, it will rev real quick then actually
accelerate. I guess it is thinking about it and then kicks in. Also even then
once I am flooring it it doesnt seem to accelerate very fast. I have Googled
some other threads to see what I could find and try myself (I am not a car
genius). I bought a new fuel pump and a new throttle positioning sensor
and will install this weekend. But I didnt know if maybe it could be
something else and/or are there any more ideas you think it could be
related to?

Thank you for the help.

82,115

Dirty fuel injectors, run some cleaner threw the gas, On the fuel pump all you would have to do is check the fuel pressure to see if it is good.

82,115

And when you say "it will rev real quick then actually accelerate" makes me think the trany is slipping.

6,125

I recently replaced both VVT solenoids in my 2004 FX4 Supercrew and what a difference it made. Parts are about $50 ea on Amazon, took about 15 minutes to do the drivers side and 5 minutes for the passenger. I could not believe the difference it made in acceleration response time. My truck has 198,500 miles and I noticed it lagging upon acceleration and just overall lacking acceleration for quite some time. For $100 I think you will be happy with the results.

22,870

If the engine is increasing in RPM's and you are not accelerating, then suspect tranny slippage.

8,895

If u already bought the TPS sensor, replace it and see if it helps, it may have a bad spot in it that doesn't accelerate smoothly but bad VVT also give u the same condition

20

Forgot to say but I have replaced both VVT Solenoids. It has helped when the truck starts cold it doesn't make a loud banging noise for the first few seconds anymore. The old VVT's were definitely in need of changing.

6,125

Gotcha - So let me ask you this since we are basically driving the same truck. Does it feel like "Slack" when you step on it, rather than slip. Kind of Sluggish/Gutless

20

Yeah I guess it could be considered more slack than slip

6,125

Ok - are you running a K and N filter? Mine made a mess of my MASS Air flow sensor - I pulled it out and sprayed it down real good and that made acceleration a lot smoother with less of a slack feeling. I am also running larger tires, 2" lift, heavy winch/bumper and a fiberglass bedcover. I succumbed to some of that being a factor plus the 198K miles. If that doesn't help, I 'm out of ideas and will sit back and learn as other post here

20

HA, almost the same truck. I dont have a K&N filter but a cheaper Spectre cold air intake. I read in another forum that could be a problem as well, went out and bought some cleaner for it so we shall see tomorrow if it works. Still have a long list of fixes for this weekend, because it needs it plus maintenance. fun fun

6,125

Looks Good quinwerk - mines a little dirty

20

and a little nicer. That pic was from when I first got it. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

6,125

Anytime - I hope that fixes her up for you

10

Just doing some searching on the net for a similar issue I'm having. I was suspecting the TPS myself with my truck. Could you let me know if that's what resolved your issue?

82,115

Post a question, this one is from 11 months ago.

35

I have a 2007 F150 with 210k on my truck. Bought it new and well maintained. My truck had acceleration issues as read many posts on the net. It took me months to diagnose. I had access to a camera that you could snake inside the wall to see inside. Dewalt & Milwaukie make them. So I used to see behind the manifold to see is the intake manifold actuator was working. Why I did this?? It seemed that when I pushed on the accelerator it appeared to have no power then accelerate fast in say 4-6 seconds. To me it seemed like it was not getting any air. No miss,, no bucking just lack of power. So I got the camera setup and my wife started the truck and pressed on the accelerator. There was no movement on the actuator. Replaced this weekend and my truck works perfectly. Good luck R

25

MY 2007 F-150 XLT 5.4 litre hesitates on acceleration up to about 10 MPH. It will also do it if I'm at higher speeds and go to step on the gas. The wrench light comes on after a few miles, and stays on. I've replaced not only the TPS, but the whole dang throttle body...and still hesitates and light still comes on!! ugh! Runs very well otherwise. When it hesitates I just have to step on the gas more and it's fine. Wonder what it could be? The VVT solenoids on my engine are not easy to change, as you have to remove the valve covers to get to them. On other years you could just pull them out right through the covers without taking them off. They will not fit through on mine. Figures.

50

Driving 2011 ecoboost f150. At 70-80 mph when quick passing a vehicle the truck shutters. I thought it was the transmission. Just started. Any ideas.

Hey i yes want to said thank you to Rowefast for you coment about the vvt valve hey that fixe all my problems thanks again for that coment from (Men4Rent) on my 2004 f150 5.4 motor

20

Was going buy a ford like this guy from 2 years ago The mechanic said when it warms up it gets sluggish as you drive then he said it could be number seven Is he talking about a coil pack or what ? And thank you

20

Was going buy a ford like this guy from 2 years ago The mechanic said when it warms up it gets sluggish as you drive then he said it could be number seven Is he talking about a coil pack or what ? And thank you 2007 f150 supercrew 4x4.

I don't have an answer. I have a 2016 F150, With a 5.OL, V8, and mines hesitate on 2, 3, and 4th gear. Too many suggestions and parts to purchase and installing,.....any body can pin point the issue..???

35

Check your cats. Usually the passenger side fails. The guts disintegrate and clog the exhaust flow hence loss of power and hesitation. Change out mine and have had no problems since. I used Magna flow. Check the compatibility EPA requirements if you find that your ate bad.