2002 chevy imapla runninh warmer than usual

20

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 06:13 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala LS

I have a 02 chevy impala 3.8l v6 that is
running warmer than usual. I have replaced
the temp sensor and radiator cap.  Engime
light came on and said fan relay #1. So
replaced it. Both fans work but the running
fan does seem to be kicking on when it
should. It doesnt kick on until my temp
guage reaches the line above the half way
line. Any advice?

65,955

Remove the top "beauty" cover and look carefully at the top of the engine behind the upper intake manifold. Do you see small pools of coolant or oil? If do, the intake gaskets have failed. How many miles are on your Impala? This could also be the beginning of a water pump failure. The impeller may be rusting away. That's what happened to my 2000 Grand Prix (same engine). Here's a picture of the old water pump. You may also have a little bit of air in the cooling system. Does the heater work? HTH. -Jim

65,955

Here's the new one. You can see the difference. -Jim

20

Im not seeing the pictures. But yes the heater works good. 189000 miles on the car.

65,955

Darn! You're the second person who has told me recently that the pictures didn't post! Sorry about that! With that amount of mileage it's safe to assume that the intake gaskets have been done. They usually failed between 90,000 & 120,000 miles. But have a peek anyhow. Since the heater is working I doubt it has air in the system. Try a good flushing out of the cooling system. If it hasn't been flushed out in the past 5 years/50,000 miles you're due. HTH. - Jim

20

Ill look under the beauty cover tomorrow when its light out. I have already flushed the cooling system out last wk cause that was my 1st thought was a stopped up radiator

65,955

Ok, that's good. Now, does it seem to heat up when driving at higher speeds? If so it's a coolant circulation problem (water pump, thermostat, clogged radiator/cooling system passages in the engine). Or does it heat up at slower speeds and/or while idling? If so, it's an airflow problem (blocked a/c condenser, blocked radiator , fans not working). By blocked condenser or radiator I mean air can't get through because of dust, dirt, leaves, etc. I believe you have 3 cooling fan relays. Two four pin relays for each fan individually and a five pin relay for high speed. When you unplug the coolant temperature sensor both fans should come on immediately at high speed when you start the engine. If not, something is going on with the fan circuit. With the temperature sensor unplugged the check engine light will come on as well, ignore it. HTH. -Jim

20

It heats up to that temp no matter if your going slow, fast, or just idling. Ill unplug the temp sensor tomorrow as well and check the fans.

65,955

Ok, sounds good. Keep us posted! -Jim

20

Will do. Thanks for the help. Ill let you know what i see tomorrow evening.