02 cavalier has spark turns over but won't start at all

65

Asked by May 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

Ok I was driving down the road when
my car started spitting and
spuddering then staled and it turns
over has spark but won't start it
won't even try too start it's a 2002
Chevy cavalier it ran great till this
happened I don't know what too do

9,365

Fuel pump went bad,replace with new one

65

My fuel pump still comes on but I heard a ticking noise from the passenger side of the motor it started the day before it died so I thought the timing chain might have broke but I pulled off the valve cover and they are still moving

65

The worst part is it is my only mode of transportation and I'm broke till I can get it running again

9,365

im not sure but i think this car may have inline fuel filter,check it

65

Ok a friend just told me that it is possible that the timing chain tensioner may have failed and it jumped a tooth or a couple

101,375

Ticking sound? Timing chain tensioner issues. Pop covers off and inspect. Be ready to replace the timing chain and tensioner.

101,375

http://m.autopartswarehouse.com/results/? Ntt=Timing+Chain+kit&searchType=global&N=

65

It has the 2.2l sfiohc and almost everything I've found says it has a timing chain not belt

101,375

It is a chain

65

Ok ya from the link you sent me I figured it out thank you and it sucks because I have too take apart half the front end too get too it so I'm going too do that hopefully it is that tho because it would suck too do all that for nothing

101,375

Yes it would. And it might not be that but it sure sounds like it will be.

65

But I'm pretty sure it's that because I have pressure pushing out of my throttle body

101,375

Sounds even more like it. Intake valves open while pistons coming up.

65

Ya that's what I'm thinking

65

Thank you for your help I'll let you know how it goes

50

I have 2002 Chevy cavalier won't turn over like its sucking for gas they replaced fuel pump 3 times still doing same thing won't turn over

20

Check vehicle recalls at the AutoZone web site for your vehicle. I found the below information there and could be the cause of several peoples issues with lights and cars not starting. 1995-1999 Chevy passenger cars;" These vehicles have the potential to experience moisture entering the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), as a result of corrosion after extended exposure to road salt, Moisture entering the PCM can lead to symptoms including illumination of the Check Engine light or the engine running rough. If these symptoms are ignored, the engine may stall and may not be able to be restarted".

30

My cavalier started a ratteling sound on a Friday and then got in it on sat morning drive down the road and it dies will turn over but won't start

97 2.2 died and wouldnt start for a while, ita turning over but not running. It did run then die, so i changed the fuel filter. It started and ran 3 miles and died agian, now it wont run even for a few seconds. I did the reset on the computer, the anti theft light stays on with other lights when the key is turned. Still wont actually start. I pulled the fuel filter, turned it over and no fuel was coming from the pump. Indication of a bad fuel pump right. Just wanted to be sure nothing can stop pump from running (besides fuses, checked them also). It still doesnt explain why it would start them after a while die, and not start after. Ive changed a couple fuel pumps in the past and never herd of them coming and going so im a bit skeptical of buying a 230 pump and sending unit (cant get just pump locally)