Engine kills when headlights are turned on

5

Asked by Aug 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM about the 1995 Ford F-350 4 Dr XLT 4WD Crew Cab LB

1995 F350 460ci.  Recently had issues like this and with it dying at the most inopportune times.  Wound up replacing the distributor.  It's been running better than good for about a month.  Now it does not want to run with the headlights on.  Sometimes it will and then decide not to while I'm driving down the road.  I can turn the headlights off and the engine will restart itself, but kill again when I try to put the headlights back on.

Any ideas?

78,355

Have you had the charging system checked? It could ba a regulator acting strange when voltage demands change from normal to high load or a wiring trouble. Wiring problems are a bear to find sometimes, I would start by cleaning all of the trucks grounds, and there are quite a hand full just for the lighting. A good shop manual would prove really help with this process and one with good wiring diagrams and component locator.

5

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I had intended to check the wiring yesterday evening, but it was storming by the time I got home. My plan is to check all wiring and grounds that I can find. Someone also suggested the headlight switch and also the dimmer switch in the steering column. Looks like a weekend spent under the hood :-)