exhaust fumes in cabin

Asked by Jun 04, 2010 at 08:04 PM about the 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 4 Dr 420SEL Sedan

am getting exhaust fumes in the cabin of my 1991 420.  I had a new muffler
installed.  there are no holes in the pipes or any of the undercarriage.  All door and
trunk seals practically new.  Extended rear exhaust a few inches so it sticks out past
rear bumper trying not to get fumes caught under rear.  Only smell fumes when I start
from dead stop at a light.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

did you replace the donut gasket from manofold to exhaust pipe.

No. Thank you for the suggestion. I am actually taking it into an "expert" in the area referred to me by a guy I have been taking my cars to for 25 years so I will suggest they look at that. I appreciate the response.

1,565

Unless there is a gap between the exhaust pipe connections OR a hole in one of the FOUR muffler/resonators, there is NO WAY this could occur. A muffler shop that specializes in proper exhaust installation should be all you need - because there are no moving parts involved.