Removing a front tire from a 2004 Chevy Cavalier

Asked by Nov 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

My daughter got a flat tire on her 2004 Chevy Cavalier. I removed the 5 lug nuts but the
wheel would not budge coming off at all. There is no wheel cover.  Is there some other way
this wheel could be locked on?

92,715

The wheel is most likely just corroded onto the hub assembly, a good dose of WD40 in each lugnut hole and let it sit for a while then try wiggling it back and forth might just work it free, if that won't work, soak it again and then use a rubber hammer and try whopping on the rim edge alternating side to side then top to bottom, that usually gets them loose.

5,650

Got a slege hammer? It is probly allunum on steal. You have to hit it it hard to remove it. I have had a few of them like that

92,715

When I was young and just starting to do mechanics I was going to use a sledge on an aluminum rim and the shop foreman said oh no your not unless you want to buy the man another new rim, so from then on I used a rubber hammer on any stuck rim.

5,650

Rubber is better but metal will get it done and if you hit it right it will not mess anything up. wd40 you will have to waid for days! try just kicking the top and bottom of the tire ehith your foot while spinning the wheel sometimes that will work

1,315

DO NOT use WD-40 or any other lubricant on the studs! If you do, be very careful to clean all of it off with brake cleaner before putting the lug nuts back on. Any lubricant on those studs affects the torque of the nuts, and they can easily come loose. You will have to hit the rim with a mallet of some kind. If you have steel rims, then yes, a sledge will do the trick. Sometimes, even on an allow you have to take the chance. Once it is off, the next question is why it stuck in the first place. If you have alloy rims, and they have been on that long, you need to start rotating tires much more regularly! Also, you need to start inspecting the front brakes more regularly, too. If it is not that, then check the brakes for wear, and check the wheel bearing for play. Either can cause enough heat to weld the wheel onto the hub.

Thanks everyone. The WD40 and rubber mallet did the trick. Thanks for all your help Jim