2004 Chevy Cavalier Timing motor

Asked by Jun 27, 2016 at 01:58 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport Coupe

I have been told I need to pull the motor to
time it and I have been told I don't need to.
Can you guys answer this for me? And if
how?

73,765

No, you do not need to pull the engine for timing. Your engine timing is automatically adjusted by the computer. There is only a timing chain, if goes bad can affect the timing, and has to be set properly. Once installed, there is no adjustment to the timing chain or the electrical timing of the engine.

You are wrong when my timing for my intake is set for exhaust and my timing for exhaust is set for intake the timing needs to be done so yes my timing is not right

73,765

Your talking the camshafts that are driven by the timing chain. Did the timing chain jump?

73,765

The only way this timing can be off is if you set it wrong by changing the timing chain, or the timing chain is worn and jumped time. Once all set you do not mess with this again. The computer then runs the timing to where it needs to be when the engine is running.

I just bought the car. I just need to know if I need to pull the motor to time. So all I do is take out tensioner reset it and then fix the gears and put them back on correctly?

I just bought the car. I just need to know if I need to pull the motor to time. So all I ido is take out tensioner reset it and then fix the gears and put them back on correctly?

73,765

Ok, you can do this with the engine in the car, but some are a pain in the ass to do. There is a timing mark on each camshaft gear and on the crankshaft gear that have to be set precisely when installing the timing chain. Once releasing the tensioner, these marks would still have to all line up to their corresponding orientation. Once this is done you do not have to mess with again. This is the actual engine timing. You would have to find out where the marks line up to to set them. This sets the intake and exhaust valves to open and close when they should,

73,765

Also, what size is this engine? Some engines are interference engines meaning if the valve timing is off, you could bend some valves. I have a list of interference engines to let you know.