why are the rotors on my malibu breaking

Asked by Mar 28, 2015 at 02:33 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS

i just replaced the rotors and brake pads on my car and the passenger side rotor
keeps breaking. I thought it was that the rotor itself was defective, the auto parts store
replaced it no problem. I noticed after the first time that it discolored the rotor to like a
blueish color. So when i got the new one i did not put it on the car incase it was
something else. I just put the old one back on...it broke that on too.
Someone mentioned that it could be the caliper is sticking causing the rotor to
overheat and its causing the rotor to break at the weld, the whole center piece that
mounts to the hub is breaking off from the rotor where the pads sit.
Thanks ahead for any help or ideas!

Blue streaks are definitely heat. A LOT of heat and when it cools it warps from uneven cooling. I agree with the advice you got, sounds like a sticking caliper, but breaking like you describe...that's a new one on me. Hope somebody has some ideas here maybe has happened to them. Fact is, I don't quite follow..you first say the rotor broke, but then you put it back on, you mean the first one before you ever started a brake job? and don't get what is actually breaking.

click this...breaking where red circle is?

Sorry for the unclear discription.Yes where the red circle is where the brand new rotor broke. I installed the old rotor after it broke cause I didn't want to damage the new replacement one. In the beginning I was replacing both rotors and front pads cause the drivers side rotor had a crack in it and now I'm having this trouble on the opposite side

After I installed the old rotor cause there was nothing really wrong with it, it broke in the same exact place as the brand new one.

Man. Must have been really really hot. I wish I could be more help, but I have never experienced this. I have looked at Malibu forums, no luck Hopefully somebody that knows more will chip in.

Repeated caliper, pad and rotor replacement is due to the caliper not releasing and the brakes severally overheating. Check the brake hose! There is usually a metal bracket attached to the hose that secures the hose to the strut assembly. What happens is rust will build on and in that bracket and will in effect, squeeze the hose closed. When you apply the brakes, fluid is forced under high pressure through the squeezed hose and causes the brakes to apply but when you release the brakes, there is no pressure to force the fluid back to the master cylinder. This causes the brakes to severely drag and, in turn, overheat. Never would have believed this if I hadn't experienced it personally. Many rotors, calipers and pad sets later I pried open the hose bracket and the the problem was solved. Moral of the story, replace the brake hose!