2005 Impala ABS and traction control light comes on. .

210

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Impala LS

It sounds like something is slipping in the front end when taking off or turning while going slow. Everything is fine at higher speeds. The traction light goes out but the ABS light stays on.Replaced hubs but after a few months the problem is back. Now it feels like brake pedal is pushing back against my foot.

26,345

your abs is turning on thats whats making the brake pedal push back on your foot. you need to get the trouble codes read somewhere either at a shop or parts store. one you have the code it will point you in the right direction.

3,665

I can understand the frustration experienced when lights are on inside the dash. Can you help me understand something; is your ABS light still on in the vehicle or were you questioning the pressure/ push that you were feeling from the pedal? Marlea Wilson, GM Customer Service

210

The ABS and traction control lights come on. When this happens the brake pedal tries to "push back" against my foot whenever I apply the brakes. This happens about 70-80% of the time when I drive this car. It did this several months ago and I was told by a mechanic that the front hubs needed to be replaced. Both hubs were replaced and the problem went away for a few months but has since returned. Sometimes it sounds like something is slipping in the front wheels and the brakes "vibrate" but this is only under low speed such as in a parking lot.

26,345

Go get the dtc's checked. You probably have a wheel speed sensor fault. If you have a light on a dtc has been stored you need a scan tool to figure out what that dtc is

32,325

You will need an abs scan tool, auto zones cheap scanner won't pick up the abs code.

30

Show me

245

I fixed this problem yesterday. Background: My 2005 Impala had the exact same problem; "ABS", "Traction light off", and message "Service Traction System" in the message center. When accelerating or turning from a stop the car it sounds like something is slipping and took off very slowly. The mechanic said the wheel hubs had to be replaced, replaced both front wheel hubs but this didn't solve this issue. I had the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for OBD II checked and nothing came up. Solution: I went to the Autozone and asked for them to use their ABS code reader, (also free of charge but different from their DTC code reader). They read this and found 5 codes: C1216: EBCM Command Pressure Release Is Too Long C1221: LF Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0 C1225: LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation C1232: Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Open Or Shorted C1245: Low Tire Pressure Detected Problem solving: From this I knew one of two things could be wrong, the speed sensor in the wheel hub could be bad or their could be a problem with the speed sensor cable. How I solved my car's issue: I put the car on a jack stand and removed the front left tire. It turned out that the speed sensor on the wheel hub was unplugged. Weird right? Well the plastic cable housing has plastic strain reliefs (in circular shapes) that hold the wire onto the chasis so that the cable doesn't move around or get caught in the tire or drag on the ground. This strain relief was somehow set up so that the cable for the speed sensor did not have enough slack. When you turned the wheel all the way, the cable would unplug itself. I un-did all of the strain reliefs, put the cable in a position with more slack on the wheel hub speed sensor connector, and put it back into all of the strain reliefs. I drove it yesterday and today and the problem is gone. Your problem could be in any of the wheel hub speed sensor circuits. I would recommend going to an Autozone and asking for their free ABS reader diagnostic to find out which tire's circuit is the problem. From here it could be the wheel hub speed sensor or the cable to it. If it is the wheel hub speed sensor, you may have to replace the wheel hub itself. But if it is a cable problem (more common) you may have to replace the cable. (Or maybe you are lucky and like mine it was just unplugged.) There is a way to check the cable using a multimeter and continuity. If it's not the cable it's the sensor. There are a lot of youtube videos about changing speed sensors and wheel hub assemblies or speed sensor cables. Hope this helps. Scott Burke, Richmond, KY

This information was very helpful. I also had both Hub assembly replaced, and all the same lights came on intermittently, I felt brake pedal pushing back at me, same with turning slow, or driving at slow speed, and always in a parking lot. This happen for me after I was hit on my passenger fender. I have been to the mechanic three times and all I do is pay for replacing parts. No one has the answer. I am going to auto zone after work to night for the ABS reader diagnostic. I really appreciate everyone's input. I felt so alone on this problem before finding this page .

120

This is happening to me. 2005 Chevy Impala. Replaced both front hubs and sensors a few months ago. I will go to auto zone this weekend. Hopefully I can get this resolved. It's becoming one thing after another with this car. Starting to get fed up. But I love the car. I have a love/hate relationship with my car. Wish me luck. Julie Iowa

we should call to make it a recall, because this is crazy and it can be dangerous, i just wonder how many people have this issue, supposely its a $600 fix maybe more in a different location, but damn this is crazy i dont even drive my car like a race car for me to have this issue

20

scottgnd...did it seem like there was a clunking in the front end when you turned the wheel? I am having the service traction control light come on and the trac off light and abs light.

10

Has anyone found the solution? I have a 2007 impala with some of the same problems. Sometimes when I go from a stop my traction control kicks on. When this happens my car hesitates to go (I'm afraid I'm going to get hit one of these days) and makes a noise. Sometimes it kicks on the ABS and service brake lights. I have taken it to 2 different mechanics that they say it's the sensor. I have had my wheel hub replaced THREE times and is still doing it. Both mechanics say the connectors are fine. I'm getting frustrated!!

245

tril2021 I never had a clunking sound. Just a hesitation to go. Jenbem, the problem came back after about a year of simply plugging in the unplugged connector on my wheel hub assembly. Orielly hooked up the ABS code reader and told me that there is erratic data coming from my front left wheel hub sensor. On the 2005 Impala this is built in and the whole wheel hub assembly has to be replaced. I have yet to replace it but plan too. I will let you all know if this solves it for me. After reading Jenbem's comment I am less hopeful.

2005 Chevy Impala, "ABS, TRACTION OFF", Message Lights was "ALWAYS" Intermittently. Car was scanned multiple times using ABS code reader, and other scanning devices, but nothing, meaning no trouble codes. Used (3) well known auto repair shops, and ended up replacing both front hubs three times. Kept a careful watch on the tire pressure, no issues with speed sensors in the hubs because I had replaced both front hubs three times on recommendations from all three auto repair shops, the speed sensor cables were never unplugged. For 18 months, I had experienced brake pedal pushing back against my foot, vibrating and making awful noise when driving at a low speed and making turns. Happened more frequently when driving in parking lots. When visiting with an old friend from high school who collects cars and does his own repairs decided to take a look. He didn't use a floor jack, I was asked to cranked the wheel by turning it all the way. Some wires were bad. He replaced the anti-lock brake sensor harness. The part cost $37.99 at Advance Auto Parts in Texas. I know if you are not lucky tot know someone who works on cars, the auto repair shop charge a heft price for the part, but the fee for the labor should be cheap. Estimate time is 30 minutes. My friend had the new anti-lock brake sensor harness on my car within 15 minutes, and "Yes", I did the time because we were in the Advance Auto Parts parking lot. "Problem Solved"