Tire Changes on an AWD Toyota Previa

Asked by May 01, 2008 at 06:01 PM about the 1995 Toyota Previa 3 Dr LE All-Trac AWD Passenger Van

Rear tires: One of them is now worn out and has a "bump" on it.  Shakes the van at slow speeds. The other has 12-20% tread left on it.
Front tires: 50% tread left on them
All four are Michenlin X-ones.

Do I need to replace just one, two or all four.  Does this effect the fuel consumption?and does it affect the drive traction controle etc?  
I was told that the van senses the wheels when it is driven; all four tires must be the same brand etc.

Please help.

5

No you do not need to replace all four tires. If your front tires still have 50% tread left then you'll be okay. The van is shaking because of the bump (often called an "egg") in your tire. This negatively effects fuel consumption and stability on the road. Leave the tire in the front as is and replace both rear tires. It is important to match tires on an axle however it is not necessary to match all four (although it is ideal). If I were you I would buy some Firehawk GT's or FR380's. These are both good grade tires while still being wallet friendly. If you are the type of person who needs the quietest, smoothest ride then go back with the michelins but don't be surprised to pay a higher price for them.