new battery, head lights work, no power when key is turned on

20

Asked by Mar 09, 2007 at 08:46 PM about the 1994 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr DX Standard Cab SB

31,535

Ignition coil maybe? If its broken it wont cause the engine to start up.

20

the ignition coil will prevent current to the disdribtor but will not cause a no power to the key switch. In this case, I found , in the fuse box in the engin compartment a 80 amp. fuse, a fuseable link was blown causing the no power to the key switch. After replacing the fuse, there was power to the key switch the engine turned over but failed to start. The no start at this point was lack of fire from the coil. I replaced the coil only to find it was the igniter assy. that was blown as well.The auto was being jump-started and from improper connection of the cables caused a short circuit, witch will most always blow a fuse and often the very expensive module in this case to a tune of $320.00 .