Need Help! Struggling with Driving Standard!!

455

Asked by Jul 20, 2013 at 04:31 PM about the 2001 Toyota ECHO 4 Dr STD Sedan

Hi guys!! I need some tips on driving standard. I am a beginner driver, and I am trying to learn standard on a
2001 Toyota ECHO sedan. I am really struggling because I am being told to release the clutch a little bit, and the
car doesn't go, and I am stuck there just revving the engine, and I release the clutch a little more, and still
nothing, then I do just a little more are the car is spinning its wheels!! I know it's me because I am just learning,
and I've picked it up once before, but then I didn't drive standard for 3 weeks, so I am wondering if you guys
could give me some tips on how to master driving a standard Transmission Toyota ECHO sedan? it would mean
alot to me!

Also, the car doesn't have a tachometer (researched why, and it turns out none of the toyota ECHO's came with
it).

Please help me out!!

Josh C.
G1 Driver

257,425

You have to get a "feel" for the clutch, every car is different. It just takes time to get it sorted out. Don't give up, it take some people up to a week or two till your confortable doing it. BTW, you car might need an adjustment or a new clutch, have it inspected by a local mechanic.

26,775

I definitely remember what you're going through years ago when I was learning to drive a stick. If you're releasing (disengaging) the clutch and the car didn't either stall OR move forward AND the engine just revs = possible burned out clutch. BUT then you said when you fully release your foot off your clutch, the car is spinning its wheels...SO, maybe the clutch is fine and you need to work on your clutch and accelerator "rhythm" and get in more practice...Lord knows I had to put some time in before I could drive a MT car smoothly....and I'm STILL not as good as the people out there who say "I can drive a MT car for 80k miles or more without replacing a clutch"..LOL! Keep up the practice...and it's GOOD to see a young guy like you who's willing to learn and not just say screw it and get an AT slushbox!

8,805

The best way to learn to be gentle with the clutch is to practice making the car move smoothly without giving it any gas at all. If you are very gentle, you will get the feel for when the clutch engages. Once it is starting to engage smoothly, then you can start adding a LITTLE throttle at a time until you get the feel for how to do it smoothly. Do this on level ground, and preferably in a parking lot with nothing and nobody around. Be prepared, you will stall it at first but you will get the feel for it. Best of all, because you are not revving the wee out of the engine, you are less likely to do serious damage to the clutch. Once you have that down pat, we'll explain how to get moving on a hill without rolling back into the car behind you.

70,835

EASE up on the clutch as you EASE into the accelerator. It's a technique that you'll soon learn through trial and error...........and bucking and stalling. Each standard shift car is a little different too. Keep at it, you'll get it!! Good luck!! HTH. -Jim