A/C is blowing hot air-toyota corolla 2004 gas line full

175

Asked by May 05, 2015 at 09:52 AM about the 2004 Toyota Corolla LE

My a/c is blowing hot air although it is full of refrigerant. Compressor seems to be working and no signs of a leak. What may be the issue?

146,265

Does the compressor cycle on and off or run constantly? It should cycle. Not run constantly, if it does there may me a problem with the evaporator. There were problems with a lot of 9th Generation Corolla evaporators, from 2003-2006 until Toyota found the problem and fixed it for the 2007 model year. I was looking for the exact TSB Toyota issued but couldn't find it..yet. But I m still looking for more information about the exact cause and fix. Now, if the compressor is cycling on and off, run for about 30-45 seconds then off for about the same amount of time it's something else. I will be back later when I find out more

175

I will check to see. Many thanks!

146,265

Ok, I did remember something, but was wrong on the year, and it was not evaporator, but condenser being damaged by road debris. Your question kicked something in the back of my mind but does not affect your car. This is what I found, but I will keep looking for more...sorry 'bout that but trust me I will really try...but still need to know if the compressor never cycles.. or runs all the time, that will point me where to look

175

Ford nut my car is 2004 this would not apply correct?

175

I have not been able to check if the compressor is cycling.

146,265

Correct. 2005 and 2006 only. And if you listen closely, at idle, you can hear it engage and disengage, On my Corolla it's really easy to tell, at idle when compressor cycles on, the radiator fan comes on with....and fan shuts off when compressor is not engaged. I am still with you joy, have not given up.....please bear with me

146,265

When you push the A/C button does the green light come on?

175

Thanks, yes it does.

146,265

Ok. I have to go under the assumption that as you say, you have proper R134a gas pressure, which eliminates a leak as a problem so the condenser, evaporator and compressor all all functional. That leaves only one major component, and it is an absolutely critical part in the system, the orifice, aka expansion valve. Physics laws say that expanding gas cools, that's the principal behind refrigeration. The compressor, well, compresses the gas, pushes it through the condenser that is in front of the radiator where it (guess) condenses ...then the compressed gas is pushed through an orifice to expand and cool. Called expansion valve. If this valve is bad the gas is not expanding ...OR not passing through. This is my best shot joy. I don't know what else, as long as like I say you KNOW that the R134a is not leaking, and I have no reason to doubt your word. Click this

175

Ok, I see. Thank you. I will show this to my dad. He did check the pressure and the line is full to the brim with R134a. When he used the gauge and the pressure went down, the line( silver tubing) got a bit cold and the vent blew some cold air for a short amount of time but then went back to blowing hot air.

175

Yes, the compressor is engaging and disengaging. I will try changing the expansion valve. Many thanks!

146,265

Let me know please...I really really hope that fixes it. For more than one reason..First, you have A/C like you should, and just as important I didn't guide you in the wrong direction and you waste money on a part the was not bad .....oh cringe..... shudder ....I just don't know what else it could be, everything else seems good and you will of course have to re-charge the system as the gas will escape.

175

Ok, I will try it. hoping it works. Thanks again.

175

OK, so me and my dad double checked on the sounds before buying the orifice. There is no longer a click that use to sound when the a/c was on. I don't think something is turning on and off as it use to. Just don't know which part it is. Any ideas?

146,265

Ok. lets back up a little bit. Maybe it's good that you didn't buy it. Here are some other things.. what EXACTLY are the pressures on both low and high side?

146,265

http://www.ehow.com/how_5685752_diagnose-a_c-expansion-valve-probe.html

146,265

https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/three-important-functions-of-the-receiverdrier-in-your-cars-ac-system/

146,265

Ignore Accumulators, you don't have one

146,265

click to size up ..

175

Hi ford nut, so my a/c is still not working. I press the a/c button and it does not turn green now unless I switch the knob to low. also, my dad noticed the clutch is not engaging or working. What to do? My dad is taking it to a shop today I fear we will be out of a few hundred dollars before it gets fixed.

175

they are asking for 500 plus saying it the compressors and that there are metal debris ins the line they would have to flush the whole system.

146,265

That's normal for the green light to not come with fan 'off'. It won't light until the fan is turned on, just like you describe. All as it should be there. Maybe you didn't notice it behaving that way before, no reason to really pay attention to that. Now, not being at the car to see it myself, I have no cause to dispute what the mechanic says. But if the clutch is not engaging, I don't see why he would test that first, putting a clutch on a compressor is not near as expensive as replacing the entire thing. BUT if it really is a bad compressor, getting a new/rebuilt one and system flush for $500 is not that bad.

146,265

If not the compressor clutch it's self, the relay to it!

146,265

Just for fun check these fuses. behind flip down coin-tray left of steering wheel I could not find the exact correct image so I made one, click to size up

146,265

To see the difference look in your owners manual Page 287. Copied/pasted from there: 28. A/C 10 A: Air conditioning system 41. 40 A: Air conditioning system If you don't have your manual download it from below

146,265

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12891U/pdf/8.pdf

Best Answer
175

Ok, thanks. I changed the one on 28, seems to be working ok. I did not know 41 was also for the a/c system. I also questioned why they didn’t just check the clutch as well, my dad says they did not. I will check the other (41) part to see if that helps. In addition, my dad says they checked the fuse box in the engine compartment, not the one under the steering wheel. Do not know why. Thanks a mill. Will get back, once this is checked.

175

Hi ford nut, so I change the other fuse, a/c still not blowing cold air. one day it blew a little bit of cold air but not quite cold enough. On hot days it blows only hot air.

146,265

I was away for a couple days joy, and didn't look back here. Anyway...well dang it. Summer is coming. Like you don't know that. Have you or Dad re-checked the gas pressures, being sure to take in to account the ambient temperature? The high-side nearly triples from 65° to 100° on the chart. I'm just going back over everything. I'm also not giving up. Going to research more.

175

Ok, no problem and thanks! any a idea if there is a relay for this model that has to do with the a/c? my manual does not have information on this.

175

We changed the relay, still no cold air. I'm going to buy the compressor, hoping this does it. Thanks for the help! :)

146,265

Got fingers crossed joy. Please let me know. Hope you are buying a new or rebuilt one, you don't know what you are getting with used. I know, easy for me to say.... not my money.

146,265

Yooo Hoo...joy...well?

175

Hey FN, i got the compressor, this fixed the issue. Its finally working again Bought it for 178 (new)online as well as the filter and installation was 240. Not to bad considering they were trying to charge me 300 for the compressor alone. It worked out, thanks for your insight!

My 2008 (10th Gen) \colrolla AC not giving cooling when car speed < 60km/hr. Above 60KM working very good. As usual, gas was refilled / replaced, Evaporator cleaned and other normal check ups done but problem persists. What to do?!