gas fumes thru AC on a '01 toyota corolla

Asked by Aug 05, 2013 at 06:24 PM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla LE

For the past few months I have been experiencing a crude gas odor coming in thru the
vents on the AC in my car.  This happens once in a while, not always;  when I turn on
the ignition and AC happens to be on, that’s when I experience it… but then it just
dissipates and goes back to a “normal” AC.  MY “check engine” light has been on
since then.  
I have already changed the two O2 sensors (1st one twice already) and also the
catalytic converter.  No one seems to know what’s going on and keep saying that
“there are no leaks” and that “everything is fine” with my car …when for sure I know it
isn’t.
Would you kindly advice as to what you think might be wrong with it?  Thank you very
much, Grace

If you detect the odor of gasoline then there is a leak. Probably in the emissions systems and probably vapor not liquid gasoline. When you say "everyone" do you mean mechanics at either the corner shop or dealer? All vacuum hoses need to be thoroughly inspected, look for one fallen off..cracked, deteriorated, whatever and also get your OBD codes scanned at any large parts house. Often they can pinpoint the culprit....or at least point you in the right direction. Check you gas cap. If you get any codes....P followed by 4 numbers..P0000..bring them back here and one of us will be happy to help you make a decision on what to do. You have a 1ZZ FE 1.8Liter. Meantime, is is less likely, but if there is a leak of liquid gasoline there is a risk of fire, please get those codes post haste because of that.

Thanks Mr. David. But I think this problem is related with Air Conditioning System because of odor only comes when AC switch ON and duration may be 1-2 minutes only. So that I think it will happen for chemical reaction between inside air and poly-ethylene which has been used for car interior. You can replace the ac filter and used charcoal filter must.It is correct? ---Mofazzel Hossain/Toyota Service_Bangladesh