2000 Toyota Corolla. 5-Speed manual - Possible clutch issue?

10

Asked by May 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM about the 2000 Toyota Corolla CE

2000 Toyota Corolla. 5-Speed manual.

When I am driving down the road, the engine revs REALLY HIGH, but doesn't
accelerate as much as one would assume it should. If I am on the interstate and
heading slightly downhill, it will accelerate decently, yet still far from ordinary. While on
the interstate and going up-hill (while i give it a little more gas than usual) it will, at
best, maintain speed, if not slowly decreasing speed (when ordinarily it would have
been accelerating pretty fast (I am pressing the gas pedal about 3/4. while going up-
hill). I am assuming it is the clutch, as is a friend of mine who is a mechanic who
shared his thoughts with me. As he is not local to my area, he was not able to actually
see the car. I just wanted to get other opinions as well. Thank you!

p.s. I apologize if the amount of info I have given is not suffice. This is the first post I
have made in your forums.

10

It's possible that I am just an absolute idiot today, but I do not, for the life of me, see an edit button for my post.

There is not an edit option. What I do is copy, paste my previous answer, then edit it before re-posting. Then delete old post. Now your question: It does sound like the clutch from what you describe. Slipping. Especially if you can smell it getting hot. A distinctive odor. But if it is not shot already it can be adjusted. I will look for the how-to, I don't remember off hand. just be a few minutes.

Oh..before I go searching for the clutch information, that edit is for an answer. To edit a question, you have to delete the entire thing and start over. You can still copy it, delete your question, paste new question then edit before posting. Similar thing. And no apology necessary, you did fine. We get "My car won't start". And that's all. How are we supposed to answer that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKulMfK5FU

http://www.ehow.com/how_4484800_adjust-clutch-toyota-corolla.html

I put those in separate windows to make it easy to hyperlink Its hydraulic, so be sure to check the fluid. It uses the same reservoir as brake master cylinder. This is the best image I could find. (Click for full screen) If you are going to have it done, okiedokey. But if you buy the parts yourself, here is one of several good places. http://parts.copelandtoyota.com/parts/2000/Toyota/Corolla/CE/?siteid=217924&vehicleid=187610§ion=CLUTCH

Now, a question. Does it have any free-play in the pedal? And can you smell anything odd...I don't know if you know what a burnt clutch smells like. It's rather unpleasant. One reason it's unpleasant is it means you are about to spend money

10

Could it simply be that all it needs is adjusted? What's the likelihood of that being the case?

Sorry I lost my isp for a few minutes. Anyway I have a post up 'on hold' not appeared yet. I think. It depends on if you have free-play on the pedal. If the pedal comes all the way up with no free-play it might be able to be adjusted. If not, it's a 50/50 chance.