gas tank vent

60

Asked by Sep 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM about the 1999 Toyota Corolla VE

How would I vent out the gas tank? If the vent is clogged how do I unclog it?

this is a CLOSED system...do not vent...it tries to capture every last hydrocarbon to be burned later and stored in the carbon canister...do not mess with Toyota engineering...how in the world would one get plugged anyways? Please stop at the first click and leave room for the vapors to be recovered...and don't mess with it~

5,760

I have unhooked the carbon canisiter just took the hose off and did not have a problem filling the tank after that. carbon canister can clogg from moister or the hose goig to it will calasp

it is designed to recover after being flooded with gas...but the computer will note an evaporative error and toss up a CEL...best connect everything normally, DO not fill past the first click and drive a couple of tanks full (or is it tankfulls) till the CEL goes away~

I don't think these have the troublesome "vent valve" like fords where the thing gets crisped with road debris such that won't let you put any gas in there...what a terrible problem...hoping this is unique to fords~

have NO idea how water would get in there unless some stupid kid poured his diet coke in there~

5,760

I know what it is designed for. But you do have a good point Roy about the cel. The cars I did it to were preaty much ready for the bone yard so I realy did not care about the lights then and stuff than gas and oil and drive it

Drive it till the wheels go square...did this with my 17 Volkswagens that I've had over the years...most rusted the footwells to a fred flinstone condition and you'd have to support your weight by hanging onto the steering wheel...others caught fire while I had loaned the thing to a friend to go to the bank...one squareback stranded me in Cleveland...the red one kept smokin' and lost power, the 66 lost and oil pump comin' down the Dublin grade...every car...every one has a tale of woe~

trouble with the "black tape" solution is that sometimes it's trying to tell you that the Oxygen Sensor has been all eaten away and is no longer providing a signal to the computer so enriches the mix and the catalytic converter sees the completion of the combustion and glows cherry red, burning up the catalyst~...so don't ignore your CEL, but read the trouble goes...though am not certain the 1999 has a OBD-II connector within three feet of the ignition switch~...you must rely on the cryptic series of flashes when put into diagnostic mode with the key in the on position~

Yes the 1999 Corolla does have OBDII and right, within three feet and require no tools to access

...thanks dave...let's see if the use it...for the longest of time was not certain that a trouble code could be reset with one of these, but yah it does~

125

Follow up to this question.... When trying to fill the tank, the pump keeps shutting off, like its full... But, it's not full. Read elsewhere that there could be a clogged tube somewhere causing the tank to 'think' its full and shutting off the hose... It's getting cold here in Virginia and my daughter doesn't want to spend 30 minutes trying to fill the tank :-( Help! -Bob ps--'99 corolla

10

same problem trying to fill the tank, but my daughter lives in new england