1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6 have change new distributor, crankshaft sensor, wires plugs,clean the throttle body, new battery, car will start, ass soon is hot, will die, and no spark, after 15 minutes , the car will start again, what is the problem please

Asked by Dec 14, 2013 at 08:56 AM about the 1997 Toyota Corolla Base

I have a 1997 toyota corolla  1.6 ,  I  change distributor new, crankshaft sensor, wires
plugs, gas filter, cleaned throttle body, car will start , will run 10, minutes , 20 minutes,
1/2 day, as soon is hot, will die. try to get spark no go. after 10 minutes will start, pleas
help me    thank you   christos

What comes to mind is the ECU getting hot, it will operate fine until both engine heat and maybe the operating of the ECU itself gets hot, it's 17 years old if it's never been changed before. They can be had for a little as $55. If it was mine that's what I would try. Also make sure your new battery is grounded properly, a real good grond on negative cable to chassis.

It probably has the 4A FE (the 1.6L) and has OBDII since it's later than 1996. Even if your CEL is not lit get those OBD codes scanned, might help eliminate guesswork if I am wrong and the ECU is Ok.

Like David stated, scanning the codes would be the first thing to do, If you can gain access to an OBDII scanner that has "live data" capabilities you can watch the inputs and outputs, while running it to failure hopefully you can see what component or system fails, if the screen reads no or lost communication while running check the ecm power relay, replace if defective recheck system, if it does it again then it is a good possibility that the ECM has a thermal problem.

It is a 4A FE engine, i try 2 use computers, maybe a wire is shorting the system, yesterday the car run, work for two hours,and stop. i try for a spark via the spark plug to see if i get spark, nothing no spark, 15 minutes later the car starts again i am getting frustrated please help

Are you sure it was a NEW distributor, if it was a rebuilt, the module in the distributor could have the problem.

I change two new distributors, and i change the computer (used) still getting the same reading P1300 igniter mulfuntion, it'is impossible two distributors to be defective, I have never have seen a problem like this, the only think that maybe a broken wire, or mass air flow dirt on the filement

Igniter malfunction could also mean there is a fault in the igniter circuit not necessarily the igniter, recheck the ignition circuits into and out of the distributor, pay special attention to the stress points and grounds.

I will do that, thank you for the information christos PS will post the resolution

resolution for the following problem, igniter malfunction P1300 Code: you have to change the igniter that is located, on the left side below the master cylinder, it is screw on the body off the shock tower I hope this note will be use full, Standard blue streak number LX 721or Delphi the price is lower.

Hi Sir, Did you get your problem fixed? I have the same problem, if you did please tel me what to do?

check the fuse that powers the ignition. you need to clean where it sits . i had similar problem a real pain

i have japani car model 1996-97 toyota corolla 1.6, I have starting problems at first self after 60 mints it will ok, which sensor not works..??? no one understanding ....pls help and guide me.

JG6x have you ran a live data scan? That should show any sensors that are sending a wrong signal as they heat up. If you would like more responses then start a new thread, this one is over 3 years old.