is it possible to have an oil leak at the exhaust manifold where the oxygen sensor is bolted on

10

Asked by JensSeverin Jul 03, 2015 at 11:26 PM about the 1990 Toyota Corolla DX Wagon AWD

My car caught on fire after a mechanic replaced a cracked exhaust manifold . burned up cooling fan; was able to extinguish fire but there's an oil leak at the place where the oxygen sensor is mounted. Though I got lucky with minimal damage , but guess not. Car runs but shows no oil pressure so shut down right away

144,015

Check the oil sending unit,may have broke it when he replaced o2,the only other place oil would come from to hit manifold would be valve cover.

Best Answer Mark helpful
144,015

That is true sign of the oil sending unit broke,no oil pressure reading,and car wont run when it gets no reading from the oil sending unit,it shuts car down.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

I am extremely grateful for the help of someone with clear thinking. It is 110 + degrees here and it doesn't help the thought process. As it turns out, once I located the oil sending unit ( which is in a ridiculous and obscure hidden place behind the manifold) THAT the fire burned through the plastic line at just the right spot where it would drip onto the burnt oxygen sensor units left nut. Though I was sure that nothing but hot air should be passing through that pipe; it really looked strange ! Hence my question. Thank-you everyone so very much. Also I hope a thin copper line is available to replace the plastic. It has no business next to/behind the manifold. We'll se what comes up next trying to put this back togethet. I figured it would cost me more to have or transport the car back to mechanic ( 400 miles one way ) than for me to fix it myself Sincerely, Jens

144,015

Glad i could help,and hope this is your problem,good luck with it.