water is collecting under the rear seat in my 2006 toyota solara convertible. where is the roof drains located?

Asked by Dec 29, 2015 at 04:22 PM about the 2006 Toyota Camry Solara SE Convertible

10

If your windows are fogging up it could be a Leaking heater core. This happened on my 88 supra.

160

Did you ever get an answer to this question? My Solara convertible has filled with water under the back seat and floor panels as well. I can't find the drain holes underneath the car to clean them out. I think water may run out inside the rocker panel, but I'm not sure. Did you have any luck?

230

We have the same problem. First we thought it was a leak at the rear window. Well, that was leaking, and we fixed it but the problem persisted. The culprit is two tears in the rain "trough" - the vinyl piece that the rear part of the top drains into and, when working, channels water away from the trunk and back seat area, down through spaces in the frame. Cost of the part is $350-$450 not including installation. However, we have found at least one installer who will put a new one in at cost for the part if we replace the top though him. Top is about ready to be replaced anyway. We'll see...

170

How to clean drain pipes in a 2006 solara convertible

30

I'm having the same problem my trunk was filled with water and the back seat area is soaking wet, I brought the car back to the Toyota dealer and they told me that there is a problem with the convertibles draining the water when it rains and as stated in a previous post in to fix the problem it would cost approximately $400 for the part and then installation charges Toyota knew that they had a problem with water drainage and should have a recall but it will most likely not happen I was told by the Toyota dealer to keep the car in the garage when it rains or pay to have the problem fixed

100

Hey solara07, did replacing the trough fix your issue? In the exact same situation. Just replaced the top because of leaking window and now the water that drains back off the top is leaking through two tears (one on each side) in the trough rather than draining all the way to the end and draining out of the car. I'm already 1000 bucks into fixing a leak and still have a leak. Would love to confirm that replacing the trough fixes the issue before I throw another 400 plus installation at this prob...

230

Yes! We replaced the top AND the trough and the trough was indeed the culprit. Our replacement top plus trough replacement cost us a little over 2K, so you're on par. Very glad we did it.

100

That's awesome! I honestly never expected you to see this much less respond. Thanks bud! Gonna go ahead and order the trough tonight then. :)

On my 2006 Toyota Solara Convertible SLE, the water is under my back seats (I pulled out the rubber plugs so it seems to drain) and collects where my spare tire is. I love my car and it has like 78k miles on it. I can't afford to spend $1-2k on roof/trough replacement. What will happen if I drill a hole and paint at the low point of the spare tire wheel well so that drains out too? Then everything should flow through the messed up trough but still drain out? Currently she smells a bit musty from the water. :( Natalie

100

Natalie, drilling a hole in the tire well may help as far as the truck is concerned however when the water gets under the back seat and soaks into the foam padding of the seat... The smell will not leave. Mold will set in and without fixing the actual drainage problem your car will continue to mold and eventually become unbearable. It it rains really hard and the area under the seat overflows into the floor and the padding under the rear carpet gets wet then you're in real trouble because that padding does not dry out easily. It took 2 weeks with the carpet pulled and I direct sunlight before it fried enough to put the car back together. Until you can afford to replace the trough and top I would suggest getting it under a tarp and eliminate the possibility of any further water introduction into the interior of the car. I know that's not what you want to hear but....

10

I am having the exact same problem with water under my seat of my 2008 Solara. I'm really glad I found this information about the trough! It sounds like that is exactly my problem! But right now I need someone to please tell me how to get the get the water out from under the seats.

100

Kelli, if it's just the back seat then you're lucky. You will need to remove the seat entirely in order to dry it out. There are no tools required to remove the bottom half of the back seat. All you have to do is pull up on the seat right in the fold where the carpet meets the seat. There are two tabs that hold it in place. When you pull up you will disengage them and then the seat will slide out. You can use a flat head screwdriver or small prybar of some kind if it doesn't feel like it wants to give. Hopefully you'll be able to stop there because the top half of the seat and removing the back floor board carp

100

Srry ... Carpeting are much more difficult and time intensive. :( Good luck though!!

20

I have been dealing with this issue as well. I was able to pull out the bottom cushion of the rear seat (with a crow bar, as mine wouldn't pull out by hand), and the cushion was sitting in water. However, I was able to pull the drain plugs very easily and the water drained. I was ab;e to pull the floorboard carpeting forward just enough to get to the drain plugs there too (two on each side). Now, I will have to wait and see about how things dry out. I may try to put a sock/stocking full of salt, rice or kitty litter back there to absorb the moisture. I will likely keep my backseat out of the car for a while to make sure it fully dries. I know this won't stop the leaking into the back seat, but at least there isn't constant standing water there anymore. I will try to resolve the other issues when I have more time.

100

That's exactly what I tried first but the carpet wasn't drying. It is molded carpet that has a hard plastic cover over the foam and the moisture stayed trapped inside it. I eventually had to pull it completely which requires removal of both front seats as well and then alive the back plastic molding of carpet with utility razor many many times. Then layed the carpet out upside down in the sun for almost a week before it dried out enough I felt comfortable reinstalling. I also sprayed it all down several times with white vinegar in order to kill the mold spores. Hope this helps...

how do we get a recall of this issue because I am having the same problem.

The rain trough issue for the Solara seems to be really picking up. I guess the life of this product must be right around 8-10 years. If you try to order this part (as of August 2017) from Toyota you will find it is on what they call manual backorder and the wait time is likely 5-6 months. That means the part is not in inventory anywhere nationally and they are gathering sufficient numbers of orders to warrant having a manufacturer run off a batch. According to a couple of dealers I spoke with there are close to 70 of these on order right now and you have to pay the $484 list price up front to get in line. As a 2006 Solara owner who has a leaky rain trough, and needs a new one as soon as possible, this is not great news. If anyone gets a lead on a stash of these parts somewhere post a note here :) The part itself doesn't look very complicated. I'm considering talking with a custom sail maker or similar and see if they could recreate the material layout. For the $484 asking price I could probably make the pattern, buy the material and pay a commercial sewer to put it together and still have some money left over.

10

My 2007 is in the shop right now for leaking that started about 8 months after the top was replaced. In mine, the water was gathering under the carpet in the trunk and under where the jack is stored. The shop just found out about this 6-8 month estimated wait for getting the parts, but they seem to think they have a good idea for a repair (rather than replacement) that will take care of it and at lower cost. I’m trying to be optimistic about this.

Having the same roof water issue. I pulled the 2 plugs under my back seat and plugs in the tire well area and they’ve been off for 6 months. I don’t seem to be retaining a lot of water. Has anyone had any negative consequences from keeping them pulled long term? Ie salt corrosion? Only in the past year have I noticed humidity inside my car (like internally fogged), so I guess that is the life 8-10 years. 2006 solara.

10

I have the same problem with my solara 2004 convertible, but water only in the trunk and a lot, I can’t located the drain holes?any one please have pictures?

You need to have the "rain rail" replaced. Take the car to an auto upholstery shop.

Having the same in my 2008 Solara. Pulled back seat and trunk plugs but still hear a lot of water slushing when I brake. Where are the other plugs?

10

My 2007 Solara convertible is leaking into the trunk also. I had the top replaced $1000 because the window rotted and leaked, with extended warranty Toyota said “Normal wear and tear”. When leak was spotted I took it back to the lady that replaced the Top, she said she knew of an aftermarket boot they are making. I also talked to a car wholesaler he said a Used Solara goes for $1500 at auction. So being pissed, I tried lowering the top 1/8th of the way... I can see where the cheap vinyl is separated. I purchased some rubberized roof patch and some fiberglass cloth and fixed it by 90%. Carefully making sure the black adhesive didn’t touch my beige canvas I used painters tape to limit the area. So my question is: if I remove the panel at the top of the trunk: A) will that give me access to the Trough to fine tune my Gerry-rigged patch? B) If I do take that cheap looking cardboard panel off... Will I be able to get it back on?

10

Update: just went outside and checked my truck...it just rained pretty hard and my trunk is bone dry... the rubberized roof patch worked. When you open your top a little, use a yard stick between you windshield and the convertible top to keep it from closing. Look where the to meets the trunk...there is black vinyl, on mine a seam was visibly separated. Gorilla tape didn’t work. So I went to Hope depot and got “Stop Leak” Rubberized roof patch. It comes in a tube that works with a caulk gun. In the instructions it says to apply on top of reinforcing fabric. (I used fiberglass cloth, looks like tape). When you find the hole in the black vinyl, clean the area with rubbing alcohol. I used a small putty knife and put the “Stop leak” on a cardboard palette . Apply first coat directly over the hole, making sure that you don’t get any of the sealant on the convertible canvas...use tape, painters or masking tape to assure you don’t get it on the canvas... the hole or split seam is most likely to big to seal with just the sealant, apply generously. Make sure you put the stop leak all around the hole after cleaning the area. Then put the reinforcing fabric on top and make sure it is completely saturated with sealant. Wait an hour than put on another coat of sealant. You can even put another strip of fabric to make sure it’s sealed. I personally put the top up before it was completely dry to make sure it would flex properly. All I can say is, it worked for me for under $10

5/9/18 Glad to find this site. Just discovered water in the trunk of my 2008 Solara. That "musty" smell gave it away. Will try self repair as described by SolaraSucks. Our car is garaged, so doesn't surprise me no discovery in 4 years. It was outside for 5 weeks - boom!! That was what it took!!