water is collecting under the rear seat in my 2006 toyota solara convertible. where is the roof drains located?

Asked by Dec 29, 2015 at 04:22 PM about the 2006 Toyota Camry Solara SE Convertible

10

If your windows are fogging up it could be a Leaking heater core. This happened on my 88 supra.

100

Did you ever get an answer to this question? My Solara convertible has filled with water under the back seat and floor panels as well. I can't find the drain holes underneath the car to clean them out. I think water may run out inside the rocker panel, but I'm not sure. Did you have any luck?

120

We have the same problem. First we thought it was a leak at the rear window. Well, that was leaking, and we fixed it but the problem persisted. The culprit is two tears in the rain "trough" - the vinyl piece that the rear part of the top drains into and, when working, channels water away from the trunk and back seat area, down through spaces in the frame. Cost of the part is $350-$450 not including installation. However, we have found at least one installer who will put a new one in at cost for the part if we replace the top though him. Top is about ready to be replaced anyway. We'll see...

40

How to clean drain pipes in a 2006 solara convertible

20

I'm having the same problem my trunk was filled with water and the back seat area is soaking wet, I brought the car back to the Toyota dealer and they told me that there is a problem with the convertibles draining the water when it rains and as stated in a previous post in to fix the problem it would cost approximately $400 for the part and then installation charges Toyota knew that they had a problem with water drainage and should have a recall but it will most likely not happen I was told by the Toyota dealer to keep the car in the garage when it rains or pay to have the problem fixed

70

Hey solara07, did replacing the trough fix your issue? In the exact same situation. Just replaced the top because of leaking window and now the water that drains back off the top is leaking through two tears (one on each side) in the trough rather than draining all the way to the end and draining out of the car. I'm already 1000 bucks into fixing a leak and still have a leak. Would love to confirm that replacing the trough fixes the issue before I throw another 400 plus installation at this prob...

120

Yes! We replaced the top AND the trough and the trough was indeed the culprit. Our replacement top plus trough replacement cost us a little over 2K, so you're on par. Very glad we did it.

70

That's awesome! I honestly never expected you to see this much less respond. Thanks bud! Gonna go ahead and order the trough tonight then. :)

On my 2006 Toyota Solara Convertible SLE, the water is under my back seats (I pulled out the rubber plugs so it seems to drain) and collects where my spare tire is. I love my car and it has like 78k miles on it. I can't afford to spend $1-2k on roof/trough replacement. What will happen if I drill a hole and paint at the low point of the spare tire wheel well so that drains out too? Then everything should flow through the messed up trough but still drain out? Currently she smells a bit musty from the water. :( Natalie

70

Natalie, drilling a hole in the tire well may help as far as the truck is concerned however when the water gets under the back seat and soaks into the foam padding of the seat... The smell will not leave. Mold will set in and without fixing the actual drainage problem your car will continue to mold and eventually become unbearable. It it rains really hard and the area under the seat overflows into the floor and the padding under the rear carpet gets wet then you're in real trouble because that padding does not dry out easily. It took 2 weeks with the carpet pulled and I direct sunlight before it fried enough to put the car back together. Until you can afford to replace the trough and top I would suggest getting it under a tarp and eliminate the possibility of any further water introduction into the interior of the car. I know that's not what you want to hear but....

I am having the exact same problem with water under my seat of my 2008 Solara. I'm really glad I found this information about the trough! It sounds like that is exactly my problem! But right now I need someone to please tell me how to get the get the water out from under the seats.

70

Kelli, if it's just the back seat then you're lucky. You will need to remove the seat entirely in order to dry it out. There are no tools required to remove the bottom half of the back seat. All you have to do is pull up on the seat right in the fold where the carpet meets the seat. There are two tabs that hold it in place. When you pull up you will disengage them and then the seat will slide out. You can use a flat head screwdriver or small prybar of some kind if it doesn't feel like it wants to give. Hopefully you'll be able to stop there because the top half of the seat and removing the back floor board carp

70

Srry ... Carpeting are much more difficult and time intensive. :( Good luck though!!

10

I have been dealing with this issue as well. I was able to pull out the bottom cushion of the rear seat (with a crow bar, as mine wouldn't pull out by hand), and the cushion was sitting in water. However, I was able to pull the drain plugs very easily and the water drained. I was ab;e to pull the floorboard carpeting forward just enough to get to the drain plugs there too (two on each side). Now, I will have to wait and see about how things dry out. I may try to put a sock/stocking full of salt, rice or kitty litter back there to absorb the moisture. I will likely keep my backseat out of the car for a while to make sure it fully dries. I know this won't stop the leaking into the back seat, but at least there isn't constant standing water there anymore. I will try to resolve the other issues when I have more time.

70

That's exactly what I tried first but the carpet wasn't drying. It is molded carpet that has a hard plastic cover over the foam and the moisture stayed trapped inside it. I eventually had to pull it completely which requires removal of both front seats as well and then alive the back plastic molding of carpet with utility razor many many times. Then layed the carpet out upside down in the sun for almost a week before it dried out enough I felt comfortable reinstalling. I also sprayed it all down several times with white vinegar in order to kill the mold spores. Hope this helps...