I am not able to start my Toyota Camry car

250

Asked by Sep 25, 2013 at 06:58 PM about the 2005 Toyota Camry XLE V6

I am  not able to start my car, i called roadside assistance for jump start but the battery
was absolutely fine..

33,465

Will need some more info. When you say you can't start it, is the engine turning over at all? Or is it just dead in the water? If the engine is turning over and nothing will start, then I would check your fuel pump first. Second, I would check the timing belt. If it has broken, you most likely will need a mechanic to fix it. Very expensive job.

250

Hi, Thank you for your response! The car was not cranking.. There was nothing happening when I turn the key. I took my car to Firestone they said starter has failed and that needs to be replaced. Not sure about this but had to get it replaced since i had toed by car. They charged me $370 for this. Can you please suggest if that was case?

33,465

It was either of the two. I have had the same issue. My daughters car would not start unless you put a jump on it. I thought the starter was gone. I changed out the starter, and still had the same intermittent starting problem. I then changed out the battery, and everything worked perfectly. I did test the battery on a load tester and it tested out fine. (Don't trust battery testers) In fact, it was a bad battery the whole time. If you have the same battery in your car then it was a starter problem. If you have a new battery, then most likely they just changed the battery and charged you for a new starter.

250

Thank you for your response! I tried jump start earlier but in vain. I had replaced a new battery just 6 months back.. I am sure this may not the battery issue. The starter I had was original from Toyota and have a 90,000 miles on it. I was wondering if starter can go down for even less than 100,000 miles? For the starter they charged $370, was that appropriate?

33,465

It was about time for the starter to go. If you took it to a dealer for service, they charged you the max dollar amount. If you remove the starter yourself and bring it to a starter rebuild shop, you can get out of it for around a $100 dollars. But, you have to do the labor yourself.

160

Hi, I have my Toyota camry LE has problem when I turn on the engine the car turn shut off by self idk what's the problem if anyone know please reply for me

33,465

Clean your idle air control valve. Then replace your EGR valve. If you don't know how to clean the IAC, just go to youtube and type "Camry Idle Air Control Valve cleaning" and a short video will pop up. Very easy to clean. Post back if car still acts up after cleaning.

80

2005 Camry I'm a little late but I'm having similar issues to the other 2 posters. I changed my battery (3-6 months ago) after installing it, the rpms started to drop severely and without pressing the gas, it would have ultimately turned off. They(mechanical) tested the Voltage and said I the alternator was low and I would ultimately (the car idle had balanced back out by this point) have to invest in a new or rebuilt alternator. Drove fine for a while, added some subs (silly me) 2 days ago car cut off completely. Blackout. Got a jump worked like new.. At this point I decide I need to go head and get the alternator. Replaced the alternator thought it was fine (once it charged back up this morning) but now it's cut off.....does anyone have ANY clue (I unplugged the subs btw) what is going on?

33,465

Vice Prez, is your idle fluctuating again before it dies out? Or is it fine?

80

fluctuates. Even when it was running "fine" it still tapped below 1k rpm before sliding back into place.

33,465

Start the car and let it idle in gear with the E-brake on for about 15 minutes. If you just had the alternator replaced, the shop should have unhooked your battery cables. Sometimes the car has to relearn it's fuel mixtures and other settings. If that doesn't seem to work, I would then remove your Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and spray down the wire contacts with some MAF cleaner by CRC. Post back with results.

80

I'll try the spray when I get home from work. But it seems to be ok after letting it sit. So maybe you're right, it might just have to relearn everything. Come to think of it, this happened when I changed the battery too so it could just be what it does. But hopefully that spray works

80

Ok so I completely forgot about the spray but the car has been cautiously functional until tonight. I blasted the radio on the way to a gathering and upon my attempted departure my car kindly declined.lol So I had to once again find myself getting a jump off from someone. I've been letting it charge for 10-15 minutes both when I crank up and before I leave(except this time) So Not sure if it's the radio alone or if it's the lack of time designated to charging this last time but I'm really determined to figure this out

80

SN: the idle has returned to normal since the new alternator install, and the gears don't shift rough or erratic like it was before. It rides nice and smooth...it's just keeping it powered up that seems to be the issue now...

33,465

Do you happen to have one of those radios that has a 2500 watt amp? If you're pushing watts like that, it will kill your battery even with a new alternator. Makes zero sense as to why you can start the car one minute and then it dies and doesn't have the power to restart without a jump.

80

I think it's the terminals. I shook them and it crank back up this morning. I'll replace them later and see what happens. Until then I'll just have to do my best to keep them tight

110

Hey @Reelin68, I own a 2006 Camry and for some reason, even though the battery works fine - I can listen to the radio - my car won't seem to start. No sound, nothing when I turn the key. Is this easily fixed?

33,465

Yes, try this test. Have someone hold the key to the start position. As they hold the key, locate the starter and rap on it with a hammer. If car turns over, your starter is bad and needs replacement. If after test, and it still will not turn over, I would get a volt meter and test the battery. If you find that it is not at 12 volts, 11.5 or lower, you should replace your battery. If still not starting, you may have a bad neutral safety switch. You can go to youtube and type in "starter, neutral safety switch", for some diagnostic tips. As always, check your fuses and starter relay as well. Post back with findings.....

10

Can a bad battery stop the car from excelerating on 2011 Toyota Camry??

33,465

Lakiesha, no. My guess would be gas peddle sensor or the throttle body. If check engine light is on, you should have the error codes scanned. If your battery or alternator were bad, you should have a battery warning icon illuminated on the dash. You can go to a local parts store and they should be able to do a quick battery and alternator test for you, just to be sure.

50

I have a 2006 Camry that want seem to start. I can listen to the radio I replaced the starter and it still want start. When I took the old starter back to the parts store to get my core charge back I also took my battery to be checked and it tested good it did even need a charge to it. when I told the guy that I had replaced the starter and it still want start. He went and checked my old starter that I had just brought back and said it was nothing wrong with that starter and it was good. What could it be?

33,465

Three possibilities: Corroded connections/grounds, bad neutral safety switch, ignition. Here is a video that shows you how to test for the ignition and neutral safety switch......................................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPOcO6f798

33,465

Forgot to mention check your fuses and starter relay.

50

We just replaced the ignition switch and it's still not doing anything

33,465

Did you do the other tests? You replaced the ignition, but did you test the neutral safety switch?

40

hey @Reelin68 i have a 2002 Toyota camry && everything was fine up until a few days ago.. i noticed it crunk up but it progressively sounded like it wasn't wanting to crank.. i took it to my dads.. he changed the battery && it was still acting like it didn't wanna crank.. && he has now put my original battery back in && when i go to crank it up the engine won't come on && it won't start.. but the radio.. air.. all that will still come on.. so is it a starter you think or carburetor?

40

alternator**

33,465

Kwright14, If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery. If your battery is almost dead, your alternator may be shot. I would jump the car and get it going. Then put your volt meter on the hot side of the alternator. If it's working properly, it should be putting out 14 volts. Post back with results..............

40

@Reelin68 i don't have a volt meter. my battery is fine. it won't click when i crank it.. && a jump didn't work

33,465

Try this: Have someone hold the key to the ON position like they're starting it. As they hold the key, you rap on the starter with a hammer. If it suddenly cranks over, you need a new starter.

40

@Reelin68 yeess it started to crank tbut never did.. i have a guy replacing my starter now. i appreciate iit

33,465

No problem...let us know how it went and if she fires up again....

I replaced my starter twice in two months I don't know what is making the starter goes bad I even had to get a new battery

33,465

Letitia, what is happening for symptoms when the starter begins to fail? You said you're on starter #2. Do you turn the key and get nothing, or is the starter just really intermittent? Did you get a new battery on the first starter or the second?

Hello, I bought a battery from a car parts store. It was the wrong battery. It was put into the car, but the new battery had switched positive and negative terminals so the car would not start and I believe the fuse busted on this. I am now trying to get my car looked at. Any help would be appreciated.

33,465

Janice, check your main fuses under the hood. There should be some big square ones that say 30amp on them. Those should be square and have a clear top. Check those. Hopefully, those blew out and nothing got fried.

30

My dad's 1990 camry can only start with a jumper. Without a jumper, it doesn't crank and the battery seems very week. The batter was replaced a month ago. Could it be the alternator?

33,465

Sqa4life, yes, it could be the alternator/voltage regulator. If you have access to a volt meter, test the output side of your alternator with the engine running. It should be putting out 14 volts or slightly higher. If less than 14 volts, replace alternator. If alternator tests fine, you may have bad or corroded cables and grounds. If everything appears to be fine, charge battery on a charger until fully charged. Put a volt meter on the battery. If less than 12 volts, your new battery is faulty. Should be under warranty. Exchange for a new one.

10

Hi today i was on my way to work and my car wouldn't start.... I have a 1995 Camry Toyota my radio still work windows were rolled down and everything else work so I gave it a jump and it still did not work it sound like it wanted to it wasn't turning over like it didn't want to start it was making noise like it was trying but still didn't I noticed this thing under my hood that will crank up when I tried to start my car and then it stopped working any advice on what it could be

10

My husband took something or disconnected something from under the hood of my 2002 toyota camry to keep me in the house it turns but wont crank What did he do?

33,465

If you mean the engine turns over and over but it will not fire up and run, he probably took the relay out of the fuse box under the hood that controls the fuel pump. There should be a black box just above the battery on the drivers side under the hood. Open it up, look on the underside of the cover. There should be a schematic telling you what each fuse and relay controls. If there is an empty spot, that's the one he pulled. See in the pic the relay that says EFI? That's most likely the one he pulled. It stands for Electronic Fuel Injection.

10

I have a 2014 Camry hybrid XLE. At intermittent times it won't start. When I go through the process of starting, push brake pedal in, push start/stop button, all the lights on the dash and the radio come on, except for the green "ready" light. I have had it to the dealer several times. They can not duplicate the problem. They did replace the key fob battery. The car has not started several times since that battery was replaced. The not starting is very intermittent and I don't see a pattern. Any suggestions? If I can't get this fixed, I will have to trade. I want a car I can trust more than a 30 miles from my home. Do you think this is a 14 Camry issue? I wanted to trade for a 16 Camry, but if I have the same problem, I don't want a Toyota product at all.

@loladed did you figure out the issue with your car?

10

No. I traded for a Buick as I wasn't sure I wanted another Toyota. My local mechanic found a code and he talked to the dealership service manger. The service manager did not order the part that the code was referring to. That was the last straw and that was when we traded.

I'm sorry to hear that. Wish me luck, I'm trying to figure it out now. :/

10

Good luck. I hope you get better answers or any answers more than I did.

10

My girl car we change the alternator and battery i put the key in the ignition and turn it over and still no start no crank

33,465

Chris, you may have a bad starter. Have your girlfriend turn the key and hold it to the ON position like she is starting the car. As she holds the key, locate the starter and rap on it with a hammer. If the car suddenly turns over, you have a bad starter. If car does not turn over, you may have a bad neutral safety switch. Try starting the car in neutral instead of park. Post back with results.

10

I had the starter checked out this morning it's good replace the power wire terminals and battery Good as well new alternator still not turning over so I might try the switch

33,465

Chris, also check the main fuses under the hood. There are a couple of big 30 amp fuses. If one of those has blown that will give you a no start issue as well.

25

@Reelin68, quick question, I have a 2009 Toyota Camry base model. About 3 days ago, my Camry started to require about 2-3 cranks before the engine fires. quick tips on checking what the issue might be? My first thought is fuel pump, but I thought I would get a couple opinions before I dive in myself. Thanks in advance!!!

33,465

AustinRyk, I have never had a fuel pump gradually die out. They usually completely die and leave you stranded. You may have a leaky injector that is losing pressure as the car sits. Does the car start right back up after it's been running? Do you notice the delayed start only after the car has been sitting for a while? Have you noticed any gas smell when you open the hood?

25

Reelin68, the car has the same issue with the delayed firing even after driving for 20+ minutes. No gas smell when I open the hood. One more symptom I noticed tonight was that the lights on the instrument console dim with tame frequency as the cranking of the engine. But that is to be expected as the power is being drawn to the starter right? Could this be a spark plug issue? As of now, it's just a minor annoyance, but I would like to get it sorted before I get stranded.

33,465

The unfortunate part is, that without an error code, it's just a total guessing game. So without spending any money on parts, I would first get a volt meter and test the hot side of your alternator and see what you're getting for voltage. Optimum would be 14 volts. Then I would shut the car down and see how many volts your battery has at rest. It may be getting old and not giving you a solid 12 volts of cranking power. I would then start cleaning things like your battery terminals and grounds. If after doing that and the problem still persists, I would buy some cleaning products such as throttle body cleaner and MAF cleaner. Spray down the throttle body and clean your MAF contacts with the special MAF spray. Check on Youtube for how to videos if you've never cleaned these items. Not much to it. Lastly, I would change the plugs. You shouldn't have to spend any more than $50 on sprays and plugs. Keep us posted on your findings....good luck!

20

Reelin68, I have a 2006 Camry and I just recently replaced the battery and alternator because it wouldn't start. It's been fine for the past few months but now it won't start. It makes no noise and no lights come on and the radio won't work. My key fob won't unlock my doors either. I have to manually do it. I have tried to jump it off but that won't work either. What could be the problem?

33,465

If it were my car, the first thing I would do it get a volt meter and see what my battery has for volts. If battery is completely dead, you won't even be able to jump the car. So let's start there. Then check your main 30 amp fuse under the hood. Since your key fob won't even unlock the doors, it sounds to me like the battery is completely dead or your main power fuse is blown. Let me know what you find.......

20

Reelin68, I haven't done anything yet but here's an update. I went out to my car this morning to grab something and my lights came on when I opened my door. I will let you know what I find out when I get the chance to look at it!

33,465

Well, we now know that the main fuse is good and the battery isn't totally dead. I would say you have a loose connection or a corrosion issue. Possibly a bad ground. If you have a ton of white or green corrosion on your terminals, that's probably your issue. In some cases, the corrosion will actually creep up your cables under the protective coating. Also check the starter connections for corrosion as well.

20

@reelin68 we have a 2011 camry that is push to start. we just purchased it a week ago and now it will not start. we purchased a brand new battery from mountain states toyota and the lights will come on but the car will not start. We are going to be replacing the battery terminal today because it's pretty broken. do you think that could be the issue here or do you think it's something more in depth?

33,465

VanDyke44- That's a strong possibility. A faulty neutral safety switch will give you a no start condition also. Have you tried starting it in Neutral?

20

Hi, i have some issues with my 2002 Toyota Camry, begins 2 weeks ago. I couldn't start my car, my friends thought it was the starter cause it didn't start even with cables. But my battery was dead (yesterday night i changed it and it started directly, i tried it 3 times to make sure). I got back to my car today, my car didn't want to start, but the battery "kind of" work, cause i can open the windows and all the lights went on, but as long as i wanna start it it makes a noise like "tzzzz tzzzz" when i turn the key. It seems like the problem is electronic, but how can my car started yesterday and not today ? thank you

33,465

Juliefr, it sounds like one of 3 things. You may have a "parasitic draw", which is something that stays on all night and kills your battery, a bad starter, or a bad alternator. Get a jump start and drive your car. Once battery is charged, drive to your nearest Autozone and have them test your alternator. Make sure it's putting out 14 volts. If it's far less than 14 volts, you have a bad alternator. If alternator tests good, you will have to buy a volt meter in order to do a parasitic draw test. Or find a friend that has one. Here is a short video on how to perform the test...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0 If no parasitic draw is found, your starter is most likely your issue. Let me know what you find....good luck!

I have a 2005 Camry 2.4 L. It cranks but won't start. I've checked all fuses and relays and even had someone run wires to check the fuel pump. It actually started after that so I assume an intermittent wire somewhere. After it ran it had no fault codes and the alternator was fine. Then it died while driving and won't start again. Now the check engine light does not light with key in on position so I bought a new ecu to see if it was faulty and still no check engine. I have the wiring diagram but it is Greek to me so I'm wondering what pins to check to see if the ecu is getting initial power to "wake up".

33,465

Gregg456, Spray some start fluid into the intake and see if it will run for a couple of seconds. If it does, I would be inclined to say your fuel pump may be on it's way out. Post back with results.

The car is at work where it died. I have a truck so it's kind of on the back burner. I did rip out the whole back seat to check the fuel pump and power to the fuel pump. Not sure what the resistance Of a good pump is supposed to be but the fact that I can't connect to the obd port and the CEL does not come on with the key in the on position makes me think it's a computer/electrical issue. I'll try anything though.

10

I have a 96 Camry that I've replaced the battery, alternator, and starter. But my car still won't start. The radio and lights will all turn on, but the engine will not start. Why is it not starting

Jarrad, First place to start is to check fuses and relays. If the car cranks but doesn't start then the battery and starter are good but you either aren't getting fuel or spark. If the car doesn't crank try pulling the starter relay (possibly under the hood not sure for your car). Tap it a couple times on something and put it back. Also a sticky efi relay will cause a no start.

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry that won't start it took me off the highway was pulling before it finally turned off open the hood to find smoke not alot but some from behind the engine had got car towed home and the car doesn't start had a mechanic work on it he changed the radiator and spark plugs after the spark plugs where applied the car turned on 30 mins later when the family try to go get grocery it didn't want to start again not even with a jump I don't know what it is I did however notice today there is no oil at all it must of had leaked out can this be the reason it won't start ?

33,465

Did you notice the oil light on? Was there a puddle of oil under the car? If the motor is not making any rap noises, you may have caught it in time. When you say it won't start, is the motor turning over or do you turn the key and get absolutely nothing?

20

My 2006 Toyota Matrix would not crank yesterday afternoon. I had driven it several times earlier. I believe that somehow the key became unprogrammed. When I put the key in the ignition, I have power. The dash lights, radio, windows work. Just no noise at all when turned to the crank position. I just replaced the battery 2 weeks ago. I checked all connections, fuses, etc....I began researching and will the crazy ritual for programming the key again....I'll let you know if it works.

20

My 2006 Toyota Matrix would not crank yesterday afternoon. I had driven it several times earlier. I believe that somehow the key became unprogrammed. When I put the key in the ignition, I have power. The dash lights, radio, windows work. Just no noise at all when turned to the crank position. I just replaced the battery 2 weeks ago. I checked all connections, fuses, etc....I began researching and will do the crazy ritual for programming the key again....I'll let you know if it works.

My 2014 Camry didn't start today after I left it ON for 2-3 hours and ruined my thanksgiving. Tried Jump start didn't work, Battery seems to be good. I had to leave it and head back to home using cab. I wanna get it started either finding a mobile mechanic or a mini Autoshop. I guess the problem is with Starter! Not sure If I have to replace it or hit it to start :( Never heard ppl saying that you may run into problems with Toyota Camry so soon after you buy.

33,465

You say you left in ON for 2 or 3 hours. What does that mean? You left the key in the ignition and the lights were on killing the battery? If the battery is beyond dead, then it will never start no matter how many times you jump it. If you think the battery is good, you need to charge it over night with a charger. The next day, put a volt meter on the battery with the engine off. See what you get for volts. If you get less than 12, like 11.5 or below, your battery needs to be replaced. If you get a strong 12 volts or more, you may have a bad starter or you may have dirty terminals or grounds. I can't believe that a 2 year old starter is bad. Clean battery terminals and grounds. Check battery for water levels if it's not a maintenance free battery. If all checks out good and you feel that it's the starter, try this: Locate the starter motor, have someone hold the key to the start position and keep it there, as they hold the key to the ON position, rap on the starter motor with a hammer. If the car suddenly turns over, you have a bad starter. If still a no start, you may have a bad neutral safety switch. Again, hold key to the ON position and shift from park to neutral. See if the car will start. If it starts by moving the shift lever around, you have a bad neutral safety switch. On some of the newer cars, I believe if one of the brake lights are out, it will not start. Check to see that all of your brake lights illuminate. Post back with results.......

Thank you for your quick and kind response. Appreciate that. Your inputs are quite thoughtful and helpful. I went back to the spot where I parked overnight(Informed security about the same and they are kind to help). Went back - Called Geico for roadside assistance and Towing If Jump Start doesn't work again. The man came with the jumpstart - All he did is to rightly attach the plugs to the battery and start - It started in No time. I think the big truck that he came for towing did the magic. I drove to office - Did my job for 30 mins (didn't switch off the engine - Switched off all the lights and AC though), went to firestone - they have a winter care package for 10$ where they will do all basic checks - Waiting for their to take a decision. If starter/battery is bad and wanted replacement - I am planning to buy one. Any good recommendations for Starter, battery and also tires please.

33,465

Taken12, starters are generally remanufactured ones if you get one at the auto store. I have never had any bad luck with them. A genuine Toyota starter will run you some big money. Interstate batteries are a good buy. As for tires, the more you pay, the better the quality. It will depend on how much you want to dish out. I always run Hakkapeliitta Winter Tires for winter. Cooper or Goodyear for summer.

Sure Thanks and appreciate your kind response. This is a new question though! I have my tires near to wornout in few months may be and alignment issues. Firestone mentioned that everything is good. I live in one of the big cities of Texas. I was thinking to take FireStone lifetime package for Wheel alignment (180$) and firestone tires ~500$ - where they help with tire rotation and balancing free of cost throughout the lifetime of the tire. Do you think this is good deal.

33,465

It's a good deal if you're not the do it yourself type. $500 for new tires isn't an unreasonable amount. Sounds like a pretty good way to go if you're not a do it yourself person.

I have a 98 camry, the car turns over fine, but it won't start, I have got no spark, when I tested the plugs, so what is next to test ?