2005 Chevy Cavalier-howling noise from front end at speeds above 30 mph. Raised front end...no play on either wheel and no grinding from either bearing when spun. CV boots dry and no play on CV joints or shaft. Right front off ground, car in gear, ran up to 50 MPH. Quiet. Left front off ground, ran car up to 50, howling from left front end. Drove car again with NO difference in sound when swerving left or right. Any help appreciated!

10

Asked by Mar 19, 2016 at 04:24 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

Raised front end with car in neutral and spun both wheels by hand.  No
grinding noise.  CV joints bone dry on both sides.  Right front off ground,  car
chocked, ran up to 50MPH.  Quiet.  Did same with left front.  Howled like
crazy.  With no play on bearings or CV joints and shaft,  I'm stumped!  Any
help appreciated.

355

When u drive and hear the howl/airplane I f u jrk the wheel and noise goes away then u have a bad wheel bearing whether it has a play or not ...

10

Noise didn't change when jerking the wheel left or right...howling was same pitch and intensity. Could it be transmission?

92,525

Still sounds like a hub assembly going out, the axle nut holds everything together so you won't have any play until the thing is ready to fall apart, so the old school way of checking wheel bearings no longer works. Replace the hub assembly and that should take care of the noise. Then wait for the right side to go out.