Help with code p0442

175

Asked by Aug 25, 2015 at 11:29 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

Hi, I recently purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier from craigslist, It had its
check engine light on, but I did a scan and saw that code P0442 was the only
code it came back with. I know that's an evap code, and it's not too hard to fix,
and doesn't affect how the car runs, but also that it can't pass emissions with
that code. This is my first car, I'm 16, and honestly don't know a whole lot about
where to look to fix this. I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer
me! Thank you, Josh

175

I would like to also state I purchased a new gas cap and the reset the code and it came back

19,755

is it the gas cap? or a hose leak or the canister???

175

It's not the gas cap, i changed it and reset the code but the code came back. Like I said, this is my first car, and I'm not too familiar with where to look for broken lines or parts. I found the Purge Solenoid in the engine, tomorrow I can post a picture to maybe see if you can tell if it might be the issue, it doesnt look like it has any cracks or anything. Thank you for your quick response

59,055

This is going to be a small leak in the EVAP system. Possibly not visible to the naked eye. You'll need to have a smoke test done to find the leak. The shop will force harmless smoke in the system through the gas tank. Then carefully inspect the system and see where the smoke is coming from. That'll be where the system is leaking. HTH. -Jim

175

Do you know the average cost of the smoke test?

59,055

I'd say around $100. Figure on about an hour's worth of labor. HTH. -Jim

175

and what would you say would be the worst case to get a common part fixed with the smoke test?

175

Also, if i wanted to change the purge solenoid, how would i go about doing that?, how do i disconnect the hoses/remove the valve? Again i apologize if this is basic things, I am just very inexperienced with this kind of thing.

59,055

No apologies needed. Asking questions is how we learn. It's most likely a pin hole in one of the lines going from the gas tank to the engine. A larger leak, which could be seen by a visual inspection, would set a different trouble code and possibly cause the engine to run poorly. I wouldn't change the purge solenoid. That would set another trouble code as well. HTH. -Jim

175

I simply want to learn how to take it out to inspect it and also for my own knowledge, the power connector seems easy to take off, but im not too confident with taking off the other hoses. also, if i were to raise my car on jacks, would i be able to crawl under on a creeper and see the lines? I know you said its probably pin hole sized, but it never hurts to look. If i would be able to see it, could you maybe post a picture of what hoses and such i would be inspecting?

175

or describe where i would fine the lines

59,055

I see. You'll find the EVAP lines running from the gas tank to the engine along side of the fuel lines. They'll either be marked "EVAP" or "VAPOR". To get an idea of what the purge solenoid looks like you can look it up on rockauto.com. They have pictures of just about every part on your car. Once you put in your vehicle information you can click on " emissions " and you'll be able to see the solenoid. If you click on "fuel/air" you can see the fuel pump. You'll notice 3 (I believe) hoses coming from the fuel pump module. One is fuel out, one is fuel return, and one is for the EVAP system. HTH. -Jim

175

alright, and if i wished to take the purge solenoid out of my vehicle for inspection, would i just squeeze the ends of the hoses on the solenoid, and would that allow them to come off of the solenoid?

59,055

Yes, that's correct. This is how you learn. Good job!! HTH. -Jim

175

Thanks you for your help. Tomorrow, I'll see what I can do about taking it out, taking some pictures of it, and the lines and seeing what you guys think. Should I post a separate thread or post them on this one?

59,055

You're welcome. Glad to help. If you have questions about this issue, continue this thread. But if you have questions about something different, like for example, "what's this part" or "what's this do", then start a new thread. HTH. -Jim

175

In response to the part about looking at the fuel pump, I am looking at oictures at the link you provided (rockauto.com) and all the fuel pumps for my vehicle that are coming up only have two hoses on them. I will be home in a little while and will be able to check for myself, it was too late for me to check my vehicle last night. Where on the fuel pump is the evap line? or is it just a line next to the hoses going from fuel pump to engine?

59,055

It's going to be close to the two lines for the fuel pump. Apparently on yours it's separate. But it'll be close. Some GMs have the EVAP line incorporated with the fuel pump module. The two lines you're seeing are for fuel out and fuel return. HTH. -Jim

175

Ok, so I looked at the Purge solenoid and it looks fine, no cracks chips or holes, so at the moment i really don't know what it could be, when I get the chance I'll have to take it to a shop for the smoke test, but also, while I was looking at the solenoid, I heard a wire drop inside the engine compartment, Ill post a picture of it.

175

Here are a few more photos of the wire and where i picked it up:

175

More:

175

Last one: If you want to see any other part of the engine let me know and I'll take a pic of it.

59,055

Try scanning the computer again. See if any additional trouble codes pop up. Unfortunately that wire harness could go just about anywhere. Looks like it's been repaired before. HTH. -Jim

175

I scanned again but still nothing,

So what did you do that ultimately fixed it?

175

I totaled the car and bought a Mercury Sable