05 Chevy Aveo Automatic 1.6 wont start

10

Asked by Apr 07, 2017 at 08:16 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS Sedan FWD

I bought the car from a friend of a friend so I don't know much history on it. It wasn't running when I bought it. Originally it sounded as if the engine had no compression. When I turned it over it made "whirling sound" as if it was going to start but never did. So I replaced the piston rings ( the valves were fine and so were the seals. I also replaced the head gasket I found nothing else to be wrong with it. I put it back together installed the timing belt and a new tensioner but it still makes the same sound  and won't start. It has spark and is getting fuel I've checked the compression it has compression I have triple checked the timing and I truly believe it is correct. Could it possibly be the starter?

79,085

Your asking about the starter? So it does not turn over? So if this is the case, then yes, sounds like the starter drive is no good in the starter, just spinning once the teeth of the drive mesh into the ring gear. The gear itself would not be spinning but a starter drive works like a ratchet.

10

It does turn over. It just doesn't seem that its turning fast enough to start. Ive tried jump starting and that doesn't help. I've taken the timeing belt off again and rotated the exhaust camshaft 180 degrees since the exhaust camshaft has two different marks on it, but that made no difference. It sounds as if it backfires from the intake when the key is turned and its cranking. Wish I could send a video of the sound it makes.

79,085

That is ok on the video, I know what your talking about. But I think that engine is in trouble. All I can say at this point is to make sure that timing belt is on correctly, timing marks are set the way their suppose to be. That 1.6L DOHC (Aveo) is a Interference engine. You may have some bent valves now, or they were bent before you started on this. Make sure the timing gears are set correctly and then check the engine compression.