Malibu wont start after gass fill up

40

Asked by Sep 10, 2016 at 06:25 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT

chevy wont start at all After filling the gas I
have to tow the car home
I tried today mrng to start as well
Just the belt rotating
The engine wont fire
Just wondering if there is someone had
same problem

65,735

May be bad fuel pump,have the fuel pressure checked if pressure is good,then it may be a bad igintion switch if you havent had it replaced,one more thing,replace the gas cap with new one first before you do the other check,s.

40

Fuel pressure is good i had it checked

17,075

Yep we filled tank from empty to full and it would not start, had it towed to shop they found that the gas we bought was water, water in the fuel. It had to be drained cleaned out.

67,465

Try holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. It may be a stuck open purge valve for the EVAP system. When the purge valve sticks open raw gasoline can be forced up into the engine when refuelling causing the engine to be flooded with gasoline. Holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking puts the computer in "clear flood mode" and helps get you started. Has the check engine or service engine soon light been on? If so, have the computer scanned for trouble codes. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. That should tell us if the purge valve is bad. HTH. -Jim

40

I tried holding the gas pedal down Which didn't make any difference Any more suggestions please

67,465

Remove and clean or replace the spark plugs. They may be gasoline fouled and not firing. HTH. -Jim

40

I jist changed the spark plugs and that doesn't help me at all

67,465

Ok, let's go back to the basics. Do you have spark and fuel? Spray a little starting fluid down the throttle body. It should run a few seconds on the starting fluid. Were the old plugs wet and/or smell of gasoline? HTH. -Jim

40

No they were completely dry Two of the plugs are touching togethet What i was wondering is, i just changes those plugs few months back

67,465

Ok, when you turn the key to the run position (don't try to start it) do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? You should. Will it run on the starting fluid at all? With the plugs being dry it sounds like it's not getting fuel. HTH. -Jim

40

Yeah i do hear the sound I have taken the small knob and press that little button there I Have seen fuel coming out when i press that button and try to start at the same time