Looking at buying a 92 loyale

Asked by Apr 24, 2012 at 03:58 PM about the 1992 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

So I'm looking at buying 92 subaru loyale for a work/commuter car, nothing special just to get me from point A to B without to much head pain. The one I'm looking at has 230k on it. body and interior in pretty good shape. There is ticking noise coming from the motor at all times and the check engine light came on during the test drive. I'm think this could be a lifter? also I cant tell if the AWD is engaging when I press the button is there a light thats supposed to come on??

5,865

lifter tick is fairly normal with the hydraulic valve lash adjusters in the ej22 motors that came in those cars, only time I've had check engine lights come on in my 93 Legacy (basically the same car) is for an o2 sensor. if you want to know if the 4wd is engaging in it find some gravel turn on the 4wd and lay the hammer down.

415

These Loyales have the ea82 motor not the ej22 motors, As these cars only had a 1.8L boxer not the 2.2 like those in the early Legacy. The ea82 have valve lash adjusters too, and are well known to ticking. But when they tick it will stop and start and be louder or very quite depending on its mood haha. I've had a few subys and the older they are the louder they tick.Don't worry about the check engine light either, so long as it isn't a major sensor. When you hit the 4wd switch the pic of the car on the dash will light up green. These are awesome cars in winter, i have a soft spot for these.