How can I tell if my 1994 Subaru L Impreza wagon is FWD or AWD?

Asked by Mar 08, 2008 at 11:12 PM about the 1994 Subaru Impreza 4 Dr L Wagon

40,965

Have a dealer run the VIN number, this will show how it was optioned whether FWD or AWD.

45

Take a look under the rear of your car, if you see two axles and a differential, its all wheel drive. Almost every suby made was AWD, very few were FWD.

165

yea, look under the rear for axles or a diff. also look for any AWD stickers on the back

45

rev it up to 4 grand and drop the clutch. :) if you get any sturdy tire screech for more than a half second then its probably FWD.

Until 97 you could get either FWD or RWD, after 97 your car should be AWD. As previously mentioned easiest way to check is to stick your head under the rear of the car.

35

its awd mate !!

25

Actually, the Impreza has never been offered with rear-wheel drive. It has either been offered in front-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive. Checking for a differential between the rear wheels is probably the best way to tell.

Lol.. I must have been half asleep when I wrote that.. I meant AWD or FWD. The only RWD Impreza's I've seen have been converted specially for drifting... my friend tried it with his rally car, spare trans + spare diff = welded centre diff and welded rear diff for drifting fun! Sorry for misleading anyone.. but Philip is correct, Subaru has yet to release a RWD Impreza or Legacy.. or anything I can think of for that matter...

25

Get underneath and look for a transfer case. Though there should be badging on the car to notify if it's AWD or not.

255

The easiest way to tell if it is awd or not is to look at the 11th number in your vin number. VIN Code Plant Transmission 1 SIA FWD 5MT 3 SIA Full-time AWD 6MT 4 SIA Full-time AWD 5AT 5 SIA Sport Shift Automatic 6 SIA Full-time AWD 5MT 7 SIA Full-time AWD 4EAT 8 SIA Full-time AWD 4EAT (Postal RHD) 9 SIA FWD 4EAT B FHI FWD 5MT C FHI FWD 3AT/ECVT D FHI On-demand AWD 5MT F FHI On-demand AWD 3AT G FHI Full-time AWD 5MT H FHI Full-time AWD 4EAT K FHI FWD 4EAT L FHI Full-time AWD 6MT P FHI Full-time AWD 4EAT (Postal RHD) Just match that number/letter with this list and it will tell you.

35

ok most imprezas have a lite on the dash or a fuse under the hood

55

You beat me to it!

95

thats only for the automatics

50

actually they all went awd after 95. only the 93-94 base model came fwd stock, anything after that was AWD