TOTALLY STUMPED!! I have a 1998 Subaru Forester S. Had a miss fire on # 1 cylinder. Put in new plugs, wires, coil pack, miss fire is gone...BUT... then the car sputters when you push the throttle. If you ease into the throttle it's ok. Idles fine. Other new parts we have tried to fix this are... cam sensor, TPS, fuel filter, and cleaned the EGR. Any ideas what is causing this?

20

Asked by Mar 11, 2014 at 08:27 AM about the 1998 Subaru Forester S

Had a miss fire on # 1 cylinder. Put in new plugs, wires, coil pack, miss fire is
gone...BUT... then the car sputters when you push the throttle. If you ease into the throttle
it's ok. Idles fine. Other new parts we have tried to fix this are... cam sensor, TPS, fuel
filter, and cleaned the EGR. Any ideas what is causing this?

3,065

Does it sputter in neutral when doing this as well?

20

Yes it does it when you get on the throttle a bit quick. If you ease into the throttle it seems okay.

3,065

Does it throw a check engine light or anything for this?

20

If I stay in the throttle when it starts to sputter it will. If I let off and let it clear itself the light will not come on.

3,065

What is the code when it comes on?

20

One code is for evap, had a miss fire on #1 once. since I put the cam sensor, fuel filter, and TPS in I have managed to get out of the throttle quick enough for the sputter to clear before it throws a code. Someone said there is a vacuum controlled fuel sensor on the fuel rail that could be the problem. Does that sound right?

3,065

It sounds like you're trying more to avoid the code than you are to fix what the issue is. The evap is separate, but do you keep only getting the misfire for cylinder 1, or does it misfire on more than just that cylinder?