bad fuel pump or regulator?

Asked by Sep 28, 2014 at 03:48 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE

2005 gran am, car will not start I checked relay fuse which is good. Listened for fuel
pump and heard hissing sound which I think the pump is good? I also replaced fuel filter
o2 sensor, spark plug wires/plugs. Still will not start...there was no pressure in fuel line,
could the fuel pressure regulator be an issue?

Could be,but i think it may be the fuel pump,check the fuel pressure to confirm this.Just because you hear it,doe,s not mean it is pumping.

sounds like a weak pump.

Fuel, air, & spark are all needed. Pull a plug and check for spark by grounding it when someone cranks the engine. If OK, then TST's answer is your next most likely cause since you stated you had no pressure on the feed line.

I would bet on it being a weak pump, just went through this on my 2000. I could hear the pump going, could smell gas on the plugs but it still failed to start, replaced it and all is well now.

Hi, try this: hit the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist while someone cranking the car. I had to do this if I wanted to use my Grand Am. Finally, I had to replace the fuel pump but at least I had the time to get it online. Good luck.