LEDs and interior light issues

45

Asked by Nov 07, 2015 at 12:35 AM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Before I changed to LEDs my gauge and interior lights would turn off during the day and turn on in tunnels, etc. (dark areas) and at night... now they stay on all the time...

Any answers as to why.  I can only turn them off by the dimmer now...

40,715

Are they a lot brighter than the original lights? If so maybe you now notice them during the day when the others were too dim to see.

45

nope... for instance... my car is garage kept... when I turn the car on in the garage... the lights would come on, when I move out, they turn off, when I enter a tunnel they turn on, come out off, come on at night... Now, the gauge, door and gear lights never turn off.

45

the only way I turn them off is by the dimmer switch, but before I installed LEDs this is NOT how my interior lights worked. I never had to use the dimmer switch before.

40,715

The only way the lights can be on is if power is to them all the time. If you did not change something then they can't be on. I suspect that maybe the dimmer switch setting was inadvertently changed leaving them on all the time.

45

no, but if that were the case, then they wouldn't automatically shut off... they did before; they don't now... if the car is on... then there is power to the lights right? My mother's Focus is a 2015 does the same thing... this is a feature grand ams have... I'm just trying to figure off why this feature doesn't work in my car anymore.

40,715

Perhaps the lower power draw of the LED's has fooled the automatic light controller into turning the lights on all the time.

45

fixed: when I touched up the dash, I spray painted over the light sensor so it thought it was always night... In case this happens to someone else..check and make sure your light sensor is not obstructed...

45

also adding this in case it helps someone else. the ambient light sensor on an 2003 Grand Am is located on the left right under the grate on top of the dash... NOT the right as tons of pictures I found show... I found ONE correct diagram.