non-ready rejection of state inspection

Asked by Feb 07, 2009 at 12:49 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Two Months ago the engine light with an error code of malfunction O2 sensor came on, I sent my car to a garage to replace the sensors. The engine light came off. However the vehicle's diagnostic monitors have been not ready for state inspection since then. I have driven the car for 500-600miles, but it does not help. The inspection statement says: catalyst not ready;O2 sensor not ready. Do you know what kind of problem is it? Thank you very much in advance.

215

Check the egr valve....if they are not ready yet and no code is set, than the egr valve is possiably not working properly

35

honestly i think the O2 sensor is garbage, yea it is there for that epa and tells you if your emissions are off but it does nothing for the perfomance of your car, my theory is if its not in your budget to fix it then dont

8,325

You do know that the car uses the 02 sensors to determine if the car is running rich or leans to provide optimum A/F ratio? You know maximum power with minimum carbon build up? ------------- As to the topic, if the light is off the pending codes should be gone, and since they aren't giving you a 'excessive nitrogen oxides' or similar failure message, it would appear they are giving you something read by their computer. Or did they do a 'sniffer' test? Check to make sure the C.I.L. is coming on when you start your car (when all your dash lights come on for a second).

you live in new york ? driving the car 5-600 miles is bogus. you have to drive it a certain way to reset the computer. it's best to do this late at night or very early in the morning when traffic is lightest, drive the car nomally about 20-30mph for about a mile ,then get on the parkway & get up to highway speed(50-60 mph) for about a mile then gradually slow down to a stop,then excellerate to highway speed again for about 3 miles that should do it.

20

they can fail your car, but no one seem to find a way to fix that problem ! This emission test they give is all bullshyt ! You spend all your hard earn money to fix your check engine light, and you still correct that problem, and your check engine light don't come back on, but your car still not ready, and they you get a policeman behind you and get an ticket for expire tag. That's more money you about to shove out. I will try TRIP65 "drive the car nomally about 20-30mph for about a mile ,then get on the parkway & get up to highway speed(50-60 mph) for about a mile then gradually slow down to a stop,then excellerate to highway speed again for about 3 miles" if all fail.... more money to the dealership.