wont stay started

10

Asked by Apr 03, 2011 at 11:11 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

when i first got into the car it started but quickly  turned off. now we just get a clicking sound when we turned the keys... so we sat and waited on a ride with the key in and when they gave us a jump the car started and instantly went off. why wont it stay on.

285

it sounds like your alternator is bad.your car started on the jump cars battery,but because your alternator isnt charging your battery,your car shut off when you disconnected the jump cars battery.hope this helps!

185

it does sound like altinator is done but you don't have to buy a new one just change the brushes in it,thats what i did with my grand am and it worked like a charm.

10

IT WAS THE ANTI THEFT ON THE CAR... GLAD ITS THERE BUT IVE HEARD ITS GONNA BE A PAIN... THANKS THO

have you ever changed the fuel filter? and when u start it without cables u should turn the key to the on position and u can hear the fuel pump working once that gets to engine then crank it. but i bet its the fuel filter or pump if it isnt the alternator.