trac off light

Asked by Jul 19, 2013 at 06:38 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I am sure this is due to it's age. This light comes on when I am pulling out of my drive way in the morning. ..and other times....Is this something that I should get checked out urgently?  What is the approximate cost of repair? Thank you!

6,835

Is it just traction or traction and ABS?

26,125

You should have this looked at by a mechanic IMO. I had a similar issue with a Mitsu Outlander SUV, which kept showing the Traction/Stability Control was off when I started it up and began driving. They had to replace a module that controls this. Having Traction Control disabled can adversely affect driveability and stabilty, especially when the ground is wet...BUT also helps maintain better control in dry conditions. Mine was covered under warranty, so now idea on cost. It may not be too much $$ to diagnose and repair though...Good Luck! :)

185

in the manual it just says to turn the car off then on again, but if it happens too much, there might be a problem with your speed sensors. i have personally driven with this light on for a while and did not see any bad signs, however i do not recommend you do this you should see a mechanic so they can help you if it is indeed a speed sensor as it is a common error with these cars.