2000 pontiac grand am over heating

30

Asked by Jul 13, 2014 at 06:26 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

my 2000 pontiac grand am has over heated since we got it, it starts getting hot after a short period of driving it or in idol. We checked thermostat and there was'nt one on it so we put one on it, still over heating, did'nt help at all. We dont know much about cars but im pretty good at figuring it out with internet and common sense lol. any ideas would be a great help!

69,275

Sounds like this has been an ongoing problem. Hence the missing thermostat! The engine in your Grand Am is notorious for blowing head gaskets. My guess is the previous owner used some stop leak junk to "fix" a blown head gasket. Now the cooling system passages are clogged, causing the overheating. Does the heater work? If not that's a good sign of a restricted cooling system from that stop leak stuff. That junk also clogs up heater cores as well. HTH. -Jim

30

Yes my heat works good actually and the ac works as well.

30

And Head gasket was my first guess also , so i had a couple people check the heads and they didnt think they were bad.

69,275

Have the cooling system pressure tested. That'll reveal a blown head gasket. You can also pull the oil dipstick. If there's white milky "goop" on the dipstick the head gasket is blown. One other thing. Make sure all the air is bled out of the cooling system. Air in the cooling system will make it overheat as well. HTH. -Jim

30

Ok ill try that. we looked at dipstick and no milky color. i knew that was one way to check so i did that before we bought it and few times since, i had one car that blew a head gasket and this doesnt seem like that but im sure not all cars are the same. thanks for ur help, ill do these things u mentioned and see what happens. thank u so much!!

69,275

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

15

These cars don't have much air intake to the radiator. It's real important to keep those fins that you can see cleaned of debris and bugs