pontiac grand am wont stay running

410

Asked by Apr 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE Coupe

i have a 1999 pontiac grand am my battery died and i put a new battery in and now it starts and shuts
right back off it only starts for like 2 mins

How long does it take to "cool off"? Did they clean the ground lug to the chassis when they did the battery? Always suspicious of bad ground, can produce unexpected results. Does this seem electrical, or gas related?

after the two minutes, does it want to stay running then or will run until whatever it is heats up and creates the failure? forcing another two minute wait in about what two blocks?

410

it starts and shuts off over and over. just wont stay running. it seems like it isn't getting gas.

wouldn't it be "show over" if it were running out of gas? if the fuel pump relay were cutting out this would account for it. are there any check engine warnings?

admittedly I'm fishing for a clue here, some GURU guys get furious if you can't pull a rabbit out of a hat~

hate to be a "dick", but is there any gas in it?

relay 14, pull and sniff to see if it's burnt~

96,155

Which engine do you have? The V6 or the 2.4L. It could be gas but it should idle for a long time. If it runs at all, the pump is good. If it dies at a higher speed, the filter is clogged. It could be the EGR or PVC. The picture shows the 5th generation under hood fuse box. The relays are the same and you can swap them around to see if they work.

410

lol yes there is gas someone told me that there is some kinda security thing from my battery being so died the car has to be reset

96,155

Your GA doesn't have any thing to be reset like a code or a chip in the key. It does have a security feature that keeps owners from starting their cars. When the "Security" light on the dash is flashing - put the key in the "On" position and don't touch it for ten minutes. At the end of ten minutes, the "Security" light should stop flashing and it will become a steady light. Shut the key off, turn it back to "On" for a couple of seconds to prime the fuel system and start the car normally. I keep my right foot hovering over the gas pedal when I restart my GA. It sometimes needs a little gas to keep it running.

96,155

Check in at GAOwnersClub.com for more tips on the care and feeding of you SE.

96,155

Check in at GAOwnersClub.com for more tips on the care and feeding of your SE. We have a weekend planned in Albany NY at the end of July if you're free.

33,375

Tons of security issues in the last 2 days, the security system is in fact known to let the engine run for 1-2 seconds before cutting the fuel injectors but not minutes. My step dads 00 grand am will run for a second then die.

60

My car has the same problem right now. I replace the fuel filter and pump and it still did the same thing I can keep it running if I have someone mist gas in the intake. Before I replaced the pump it would start and die everytime(after fuel filter was installed) then I installed the pump and it did the same thing but I did get it to start and run twice. The first time I let it get to temperature and shut it off. Then it started and died again. I kept trying and it eventually started again I drove it about 30 miles to my house and it ran fine like normal. When I got home I shut it off and it started and died again. My dad thinks it's a sensor on the intake regulating fuel pressure or something. Could this still be a security problem or what do y'all think?

60

It's the 2.4L twin cam motor

10

Mines doing the same thing but with mine I went to shift one day and the key never went to the full off position. No security light is on but I still think it's in the ignition switch cause they pried out the key......

10

I have 1996 Pontiac grand am starts runs about 3seconds then dies and if touch gas peddle dies faster any ideas were to start?cleaned all grounds ...got it to run and drive once but went and parked it went to restart did and does same thing