how come my car won't stay running ? HELP PLEASE!!!!

320

Asked by Dec 22, 2012 at 06:02 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

car starts every time idels just fine but cuts off an will not stay running its a v6 3.1 ltr. please help i need answers

97,065

Head over to GAOwnersClub.com - it could be several things

215

If you have a check engine light on I would take it to autozone and ask them to pull the codes. That may give you a clue. But I would suggest even then that you take it to a trustworthy independent garage. You may likely be having problems with the idle control sensor or the throttle positioning sensor. Knowing the codes may help but you may replace parts and still have the problem because there is a hierarchy established in those codes.

320

could the fuel filter cause it to do this?

320

would i need to change it?

97,065

Even a clogged fuel filter will allow you to drive the car slowly - at least for a while. Where you experiencing any problem before it started to stall when in gear? If you can't drive it, you won't make it to AutoZone...

320

ok then what is causing this problem i cant go to autozone cuz the CAR WILL NOT STAY STARTED oviously im asking this question cuz my car wont go anywhere it starts but cuts off all i wanna know is why an how can this be fixed

320

should i spend the money on a fuel filter ? yes or no????????

97,065

The engine starts so it is getting fuel. A new filter won't hurt but it probably make the car driveable. It could be a throttle position sensor, a crank shaft sensor, a knock sensor - who knows? Go over to GAOwnersClub.com and explain your problem there. Those people mostly have the V6 engines and might be able to advise the next step by your descriptions.

320

i replaced cam shaft sensor still same problem starts up but cuts off 2-3 secs later so you say new fuel filter will make my car driveable? yes ? or no?

185

get the idle senser replaced and go from there

60

my car will only stay running when its hots it will stay running when i keep my foot on the gas.. what could make it not want to stay running..

A good tune up plug,wires,check your coil paks

20

My 2002 camera 5.7L want stay running what can it be help