How or where is the drain for the radiator on a 1997 Grand Am?

Asked by Oct 08, 2012 at 10:07 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE Coupe

major repair needed, adding goo to fix leaks, but must first completely drain coolant and flush radiator, but can't find it on the radiator anywhere??

6,705

the drain is usually on the lower end of the radiator on the drivers side on your car. If you can't get to it you can also just remove the lower radiator hose to drain, make sure the engine and radiator are cool before doing so, wouldn't want to get burned by the antifreeze. Where are you leaking coolant from?

5

The "goo" may help temporarily, but you'll need to find the source of the leak and fix it sooner or later. Leaking coolant will only continue to get worse until the failing component finally fails, leaving you at risk of overheating and therefore ruining the engine. Plus the leaking coolant smells sweet to cats and dogs and can be fatal to them if ingested. A common issue on these cars (especially if it's the twin-cam 4- cylinder) is the water pump. Not sure where it's mounted but on my '90 it was down low near the right-front wheel. Water pumps have what are called "weep holes" which will begin to leak coolant if the internal seals have failed. Check these weep holes for any fluid accumulation, and if there is a significant amount you'll need to replace the pump fairly soon. Good news is the pumps themselves are reasonably cheap and if you're at all handy (which it sounds like you are) it shouldn't take more than a few hours to replace with the right tools. Best of luck!

2,905

radiator might not have a drain cock, cool car, open cap and remove lower radiatir hose,