My Car idles high, probably 2,000-2,500 rpms. The colder the weather, the higher the idle

Asked by Dec 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

I have had this problem for about a year and have been to several garages to no avail. I have let it idle for up to 30 m9inutes and still hitting the throttle doesn't bring the idle down. However, if i put it in gear and start to drive it will suddenly kick itself down to a low idle, sometimes in the first 200 feet but always less than a mile. I have replaced ALL SENSOR'S except the crank sensor and the knock sensor. I removed and cleaned the first throttle body, that didn't work so i bought a new one, no help either! I have removed the large vacuum hose on the master cylinder hoping it would rev up and that would be the problem but the idle is still high. I am confined to a wheelchair and it has been a real up hill battle trying to find the problem as it takes so long for me to find a way to reach things, lol. Today for the first time, it didn't kick down after driving it a mile? I drove 25 miles today one way and home and it was still idling high when i got home. seems like something went from bad to worse, lol. I should would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

i would suggest to start chasing vacum leaks... one thing you can do if you have a little air compressor or can of compressed air start going over your vacum lines and around your intake spraying air to see if it has any change in your idle while inspecting all your vacum lines. also make sure all intake clamps are tight and fastened correctly.